SSAS Connection Issues

• Alright everyone, need some help.

I have a brand new VM with 2012 BI Edition installed. I have installed the Database Engine, SSRS, and SSAS Tabular Model. No Sharepoint integration.

Now, I can connect to the Database Engine from my local PC to the test server (which is located on a different domain and machine), and setting up reports based upon the database engine work just fine. However, when I try setting up a new Analysis Service Tabular Project, I get an error message saying I don't have administrative rights on the machine and won't allow me to connect to the server or setup the new project.

Anyone got a clue as to what is going on?

Note, the domains are trusted.

Fraggle

• Fraggle-805517 (7/16/2012)

Alright everyone, need some help.

I have a brand new VM with 2012 BI Edition installed. I have installed the Database Engine, SSRS, and SSAS Tabular Model. No Sharepoint integration.

Now, I can connect to the Database Engine from my local PC to the test server (which is located on a different domain and machine), and setting up reports based upon the database engine work just fine. However, when I try setting up a new Analysis Service Tabular Project, I get an error message saying I don't have administrative rights on the machine and won't allow me to connect to the server or setup the new project.

Anyone got a clue as to what is going on?

Note, the domains are trusted.

Fraggle

Not having installed or used Tabular Model yet, I can offer a possibility based on experience with the multidimensional model. When you install SSAS, you are prompted as part of the setup program to pick some users to be administrators on the instance. Did you add yourself to this list? I don't know if it's still in there or not but there used to be a user provisioning tool (or something like that) that would let you add administrators after the installation.

Let me know if any of that makes sense. I will try to set up a tabular model instance on a lab computer at work but it may take a while to get to it since I am off for training this week.

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• I did add myself on the install. The issue I think I am having has to do with cross domain. My local development PC is on a different domain than the testing server I installed the tabular model on.

I seem unable to find the tool that you are referring to.

Fraggle

• Fraggle-805517 (7/24/2012)

I looked into it a little more and I don't think you're going to find it. It appears that it was only for Windows Vista.

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• Tatsu (7/25/2012)

Fraggle-805517 (7/24/2012)

I looked into it a little more and I don't think you're going to find it. It appears that it was only for Windows Vista.

Ok, thanks for the update. Let me know on the other if you happen to figure it out. I am still trying to figure it out myself.

Fraggle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply