SSC Points System?

• I have searched, as I'm guessing this has probably been asked before. But I'm curious as what contributes to the "points" here on SSC. Any articles, links, or descriptions available?

Thanks!

Twitter: @SQLife
    Email: sqlsalt(at)outlook(dot)com

• A point per post I believe.

You can also get points for answering the question of the day correctly the amount of points depends on how many have been allocated to that question.

Andy

==========================================================================================================================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe

• Yep. A point per post. Varying points for the Question of the Day. So this is +1.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (5/1/2012)

Yep. A point per post. Varying points for the Question of the Day. So this is +1.

At +12K points you must know the points system inside and out Grant! 😉

==========================================================================================================================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe

• Andy Hyslop (5/1/2012)

Grant Fritchey (5/1/2012)

Yep. A point per post. Varying points for the Question of the Day. So this is +1.

Ha! Not much to know. Just keep posting answers to questions. And that's another +1.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (5/1/2012)

Andy Hyslop (5/1/2012)

Grant Fritchey (5/1/2012)

Ha! Not much to know. Just keep posting answers to questions. And that's another +1.

Thanks for the pointers! Easy enough, should have figured that one out with a little viewer's intuition. 😀

Twitter: @SQLife
    Email: sqlsalt(at)outlook(dot)com

• Speaking as a relative newcomer to the forum I find the point per post system a bit flawed in that it encourages garbage posting. I find this to be a pretty good forum, in general, but I do see a lot of posts that make me think "did you really need to post that? really?"

Look at what happens when someone posts a question without giving enough information. Someone will post back saying e.g. "Give us your DDL". OK, fair enough, the original poster should have given the information in the first place and telling them what information is needed is a useful thing to do. But this will then be followed by 5 or 6 other users saying "Yeah, give us your DDL". Not one of those subsequent posts is fulfilling any useful purpose and taken all together, can actualy come across as quite aggressive.

Similarly, I keep seeing threads where someone has asked a question and then gets exactly the same answer from 5 or 6 different people, just phrased slightly differently. Really? What was the point? The first respondant gave all the information that was needed. Everyone else just added to the noise.

The only reason I can think of why people would do this is to push their points ranking up by having extra posts on the forum. Personally I prefer a discretional system where users get to give each others posts a thumbs up or acknowledge a correct answer. Of course, that's open to abuse but at least it pulls in the right direction.

BTW, sorry if this comes across as me bad-mouthing this forum. I don't mean to and have found this to be a very useful resource where some well informed and freindly folks have helped me to resolve issues I would otherwise have been stuck on. But the unneccessary noise does bother me and it does seem worse here than on most other forums I've used.

• FunkyDexter (5/9/2012)

Speaking as a relative newcomer to the forum I find the point per post system a bit flawed in that it encourages garbage posting. I find this to be a pretty good forum, in general, but I do see a lot of posts that make me think "did you really need to post that? really?"

Look at what happens when someone posts a question without giving enough information. Someone will post back saying e.g. "Give us your DDL". OK, fair enough, the original poster should have given the information in the first place and telling them what information is needed is a useful thing to do. But this will then be followed by 5 or 6 other users saying "Yeah, give us your DDL". Not one of those subsequent posts is fulfilling any useful purpose and taken all together, can actualy come across as quite aggressive.

Similarly, I keep seeing threads where someone has asked a question and then gets exactly the same answer from 5 or 6 different people, just phrased slightly differently. Really? What was the point? The first respondant gave all the information that was needed. Everyone else just added to the noise.

The only reason I can think of why people would do this is to push their points ranking up by having extra posts on the forum. Personally I prefer a discretional system where users get to give each others posts a thumbs up or acknowledge a correct answer. Of course, that's open to abuse but at least it pulls in the right direction.

BTW, sorry if this comes across as me bad-mouthing this forum. I don't mean to and have found this to be a very useful resource where some well informed and freindly folks have helped me to resolve issues I would otherwise have been stuck on. But the unneccessary noise does bother me and it does seem worse here than on most other forums I've used.

Yes, there is some noise, but the system here on SSC works well for the most part. SSC doesn't use the same system as some of the other sites, and it doesn't have the OP mark a specific answer as correct. Some of the duplicate answers you may see are sometimes the results of several people working the problem at the same time and posting their results without first seeing if someone else has already posted an answer. Nothing wrong with that actually. Yes, sometimes the code is very similar, but sometimes people come up with very different solutions as well. Also, you will have some people look at a proposed solution and rework it to provide an even better solution. That is what makes SSC different.

As for the "piling on" once one person as asked for more information when a question lacks the information needed, that is in some ways human nature. Yes, we should hold off, but I have also noticed that some people will also ask different questions as well while waiting for this additional info. Some people will still attempt to answer a question lacking the needed information, simply taking a shot in the dark.

The biggest difference I have seen between SSC and other sites is that SSC is more forgiving than other sites, and that we are actually more professional (though sometime gruff, yes) as well. We even police ourselves, calling each other out when we have stepped over the line. We pride ourselves on the community that exists here. I personally have learned much from this site, things that I don't think I would have on my own. So much so, that I have tried to give back to this community as much as possible. Oh, and I am still learning as well. That is the real beauty of this site.

I don't worry about how many points I have, those are actually irrelevant to me. I want to help others and in the process learn more. Every problem is different, unique is some way that adds a twist to how it may solved.

• Don't get me wrong, I've found this site to be freindly, professional and informative. Alot better than many I've encoutered, in fact. My criticism is definitely around an edge case.

I do find there's more 'noise' here than I usually encounter (and I think the point per post system encourages that) but if that's the price of using an otherwise good forum then, to quote Anthrax and Public Enemy, Bring the Noise.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply