SSD vs SAS IO performance

• I am testing the disk IO performance of SSD vs SAS drives. I am trying to generate high on adventure works database for this. Are there any scripts that can help me with this stress testing which cause high IO on adventureworks2008R2 database?

Thanks for your inputs.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

• I would look at the I/O Stress test tool built for the job...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=20163

Allows a wide range of tests of various types

Mike

• Is this applicable to SQL Server 2008 R2 on WIndows server 2008 R2?

I am using the SQL Load Generator tool and actually wanted to use some heavy IO queries on adventureworks2008r2 database because its the only database that I got there for now. ANd will be adding many databases going forward.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

• for testing disk setups brent ozar has a good blog post on using sqlio. sqlio only tests writing a file to the disk and not generating queries though. so it will only test the IO system.

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2008/09/finding-your-san-bottlenecks-with-sqlio/

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

• capnhector (12/3/2012)

for testing disk setups brent ozar has a good blog post on using sqlio. sqlio only tests writing a file to the disk and not generating queries though. so it will only test the IO system.

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2008/09/finding-your-san-bottlenecks-with-sqlio/

Agreed. But I currently have all local drives on this server and I want to check disk IO performance on the current drives versus SSD's for that server. Is there a heavy IO generating SQL for an AdventureWorks2008R2 database? The server is not on a SAN.

• sapen (12/4/2012)

capnhector (12/3/2012)

for testing disk setups brent ozar has a good blog post on using sqlio. sqlio only tests writing a file to the disk and not generating queries though. so it will only test the IO system.

Agreed. But I currently have all local drives on this server and I want to check disk IO performance on the current drives versus SSD's for that server. Is there a heavy IO generating SQL for an AdventureWorks2008R2 database? The server is not on a SAN.

For heavy IO on AdventureWorks eventually the entire thing will be loaded into memory (i think its less than 500 MB) and you wont be hitting the IO sub system (exactly like SQL Server is designed). to test an IO sub system i would use SQLIO which will work for any drive (SAN or LOCAL you just have to point it at a drive letter). i would look at the raw performance of each and then if you need more you would have to look hard to get a SQL solution that will really test the IO system if you can fit what ever test database you are using into memory. Once its there no more IO.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply