SSIS 2005 and SSIS 2008 on the same server?

• Is it possible to run SSIS 2005 and SSIS 2008 on the same server at the same time?

I have them installed on two different instances (2005 on the default, and 2008 on a named instance). I will eventually be going to one install, but I need both running while I test the upgrade from 2005 to 2008.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

• Yep. It can be done. We're using it as part of our migration plan too. I didn't do the setup myself, but I can ask the guy who did it if you have a particular concern.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks Grant.

I'm having trouble with the SQL 2008 Package Installation Wizard. When I try and deploy the packages using the wizard (I have about a dozen and want to save time by using the wizard), I get the following error:

===================================

Unexpected error occurred. (Package Installation Wizard)

Unable to find an entry point named 'DTSSKUIsWKGorUnder' in DLL 'dts'. (DTSInstall)

------------------------------

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Deployment.NativeMethods.DTSSKUIsWKGorUnder()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Deployment.PackageInstallationWizardForm..ctor()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Deployment.PackageInstaller.Main(String[] args)

Microsoft Connect has one error like it, but my situation doesn't match the scenario they detailed there.

Have you had any of these issues?

Dan

• Unfortunately no. We haven't been using the 2008 Wizard for installations, yet. I'll check with our local SSIS guy to see if he has any ideas.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• OK. I was pretty sure of this, but I wanted to verify it. We don't use the Wizard for deployments. Instead we deploy to the file share referenced by the engine and then run the packages through the engine, but we don't "deploy" to the engine directly and don't use the wizard at all.

Sorry.

• OK.

Thanks for checking.

I've submitted feedback through Connect, so we'll see what happens.

• Can you post the Connect link here please? Others that might run into the problem will want to raise it's importance and anyone else that hits the problem is going to want to confirm.

• Can you provide steps for installing both SSIS 2005 and SSIS 2008 on same machine?

I installed SSIS 2005 on one instance and then SSIS 2008 on a second instance. The SSIS 2008 instance replaced the SSIS 2005 instance, leaving only the SSIS 2008 running.

Might I try re-installing SSIS 2205 after the SSIS 2008 to get them both running?

• Grant,

Sorry for the delay, here's the connect link https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=410537.

Michael,

Try connecting to the 2005 SSIS in SSMS 2005. I think you'll find it connects to the proper version. Have you checked the services to see if there is only one version running? I show "SQL Server Integration Services" and "SQL Server Integration Services 10.0" both running.

Hope this helps.

Dan

• No, I see only the SSIS 10.0 service running. Maybe something went wrong with my installation. I'll try again.

• When I installed 2008, I chose the first option in the install screen. It was the option for a "New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation".

That install path allowed me to specific an instance name ("SQL2K8" in my case) and it left the default SQL 2005 instance alone.

Other than that, there was nothing particularly special about the install.

Dan

• Dan Colbert (2/11/2009)

Grant,

Sorry for the delay, here's the connect link https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=410537.

Michael,

Try connecting to the 2005 SSIS in SSMS 2005. I think you'll find it connects to the proper version. Have you checked the services to see if there is only one version running? I show "SQL Server Integration Services" and "SQL Server Integration Services 10.0" both running.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Excellent. Thanks. I've found Microsoft Connect to be really helpful at times.

• Did the reinstall work????

• I have 2005 and 2008 running side-by-side on two servers. One is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit. I am getting the "Unable to find an entry point named 'DTSSKUIsWKGorUnder' in DLL 'dts'. (DTSInstall)" error on the 64-bit machine but not the 32-bit machine when I try to use the deployment wizard.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply