SSIS 2008 adding extra quote in Execute Process task

• I have an Execute Process task in my package. It is running a mysql command I use a few variables to build the command.

1. [User::MySql] = \\crsddvcp01cru.d2-tdbfg.com\JOBS\SANScreen\mysql.exe

2. [User::SanScreen] = "C:\Users\Redirection\brittg2\Documents\LINQPad Queries\SanScreen_CapacityCurrentFact.sql"

I put it together with two expressions:

1. Executable = @[User::MySql]

2. Arguments = "-pxxx -uxxx --host=myhost.mydomain.com <" + @[User::SanScreen] + " -B >" + @[User::OutPut] + " 2> C:\\Users\\brittg2\\Temp\\out.err"

However, the execute process task fails. Upon closer inspection, I see that SSIS has added an extra double quote, which is in fact the problem. SSIS constructs and tries to execute this:

[Execute Process Task] Error: In Executing "\\crsddvcp01cru.d2-tdbfg.com\JOBS\SANScreen\mysql.exe" "-pxxx -uxxx --host=myhost.mydomain.com <"C:\Users\Redirection\brittg2\Documents\LINQPad Queries\SanScreen_CapacityCurrentFact.sql" -B >C:\Users\brittg2\Temp\temp.txt 2> C:\Users\brittg2\Temp\out.err" at "C:\Users\brittg2\Temp", The process exit code was "1" while the expected was "0".

which fails due to the extra quote just before -pxxx. If I remove the extra quote, I can run the command correctly without error.

So...

1. What is the cause of the extra double quote?

2. How can I get around the problem?

Gerald Britton, Pluralsight courses

• What if you create another variable @args that contains "-pxxx -uxxx --host=myhost.mydomain.com <" + @[User::SanScreen] + " -B >" + @[User::OutPut] + " 2> C:\\Users\\brittg2\\Temp\\out.err" as an expression and just use this variable in the Execute Process Task?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Tried that. Same result

• Found the answer. This is a feature, not a bug! SSIS always encloses the entire argument string in double quotes. This makes it useless for (directly) running Robocoy, Powershell and a host of other commands.

There is a workaround:

set the executable to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

set the arguments to:

"/c " + @[User::MyCmd] + " " + @[User::MyOpts]

• Good to know. Thanks for posting the solution.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply