SSIS 2012 Catalog vs. File System (or project vs package deployment)

• We recently migrated from 2008R2 to 2012. We are still using the file system deployment method for our packgaes (of which we have around 1000 active in Production).

I would like to explore the catalog and Project deployment models for some new work we are doing, but need to be able to keep the "old" packages running and be able to deploy changes to them.

We have a T-SQL 'app' that handles our scheduling, dependencies, etc for daily ETL in place.

While I hear and read that it is either-or when it comes to project or package deployment model, would it be possible for me to put 'new' work into projects and use the SSIS catalog with these items, while keeping the package deployment separate for the legacy stuff? In otherwords, can I keep legacy packages in their existing stack (not move then to the catalog) and use the SSIS catgalog to run new, project-based work?

Thanks in advance

Jason

• Short answer, yes.

Long answer, you can keep the existing work in package deployment and new work in Project deployment. We are doing the same thing where I'm at now. All our existing packages are actually being kept in 2008 R2 and new work is being done in 2012. If/when we migrate the 2008 R2 packages to 2012/2014 we'll evaluate them on a case by case basis and decide how to handle each one.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• That's exactly where we're at; existing in 2008r2 and new going into 2012. Thanks a ton!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply