Ssis 64 bit problem

• We are in the process of migrating our ssis from 32 bit SQL 2005 to a 64 bit SQL 2008 (amd). We currently having a problem where our ssis job fails (a massive externally developed ssis) if we start it with SQL agent, but runs fine if initiated from a 32 bit client on a workstation. I'm told that the ssis is set for 64 bit and I've verified that dtexec is 64 bit when started. Also the agent initiated ssis is running much slower until it fails compared to the workstation initiated via bids.

We are completely blank on what the problem might be. Googling turned up a lot of hits about problems on SQL 2005 64 bit.

• What kind of error messages are you getting? It would help if you would provide the entire error message(s).

• I will tell you that certain functionality is not compatible with 64-bit, such as Excel Services. Mind you there is no need to go 64-bit. You can run 32-bit versions in either 2005 or 2008. 2008 has some internal enhancements, which make it a better choice than runnin SSIS 2005, but 32/64-bit is more about memory.

Josef Richberg

Josef Richberg
    2009 Exceptional DBA
    http://www.josef-richberg.squarespace.com
    http://twitter.com/sqlrunner

• It sound like you may have some script tasks which are not precompiled. On the script properties set "PrecompileScriptIntoBinaryCode" to true.

• anders (8/14/2009)

We are in the process of migrating our ssis from 32 bit SQL 2005 to a 64 bit SQL 2008 (amd). We currently having a problem where our ssis job fails (a massive externally developed ssis) if we start it with SQL agent, but runs fine if initiated from a 32 bit client on a workstation. I'm told that the ssis is set for 64 bit and I've verified that dtexec is 64 bit when started. Also the agent initiated ssis is running much slower until it fails compared to the workstation initiated via bids.

We are completely blank on what the problem might be. Googling turned up a lot of hits about problems on SQL 2005 64 bit.

After some research it turned out that the OS, SQL Engine and SSIS competed too much about memory and after reducing memory allocated for the SQL engine the problem was reduced. We also saw that SSIS is currently using C: for some temporary storage and we increased the drive with 10Gb (easy when it's a virtual server and it's Windows 2008)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply