SSIS and MySQL ADO.net driver security and installation

• Hi All,

I have created an SSIS package that grabs data from an external suppliers mySQL database and then imports into our database.

To get this to work i need to have the MYSQL driver[/url] installed.

My questions are,

-Is it safe to install this on my production server during busy working hours.

-Does it pose any security risks connecting to an external suppliers Database to get data? It wont leave any open connections into our db? I know this is unlikely but have to ask 🙂

• bugg (11/29/2012)

Hi All,

I have created an SSIS package that grabs data from an external suppliers mySQL database and then imports into our database.

My questions are,

-Does it pose any security risks connecting to an external suppliers Database to get data? It wont leave any open connections into our db? I know this is unlikely but have to ask 🙂

Personally I install on dev machines then on prod, and never during work hours unless it's a fix.

As for security risks, there's always risks with external connections. What's your security like for the connection and the data? VPN, SSL, encryption, firewall, ASA etc. I usually leave that up to the network/security admins and whatever the compliance agency tells me I need to transfer the data. 😀

I didn't win the lotto... 🙁

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike Hahn - MCSomething someday:-)
    Right way to ask for help!!
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    I post so I can see my avatar :hehe:
    I want a personal webpage 😎
    I want to win the lotto 😀
    I want a gf like Tiffa :w00t: Oh wait I'm married!:-D

• Want a cool sig (11/29/2012)

bugg (11/29/2012)

Hi All,

My questions are,

Personally I install on dev machines then on prod, and never during work hours unless it's a fix.

As for security risks, there's always risks with external connections. What's your security like for the connection and the data? VPN, SSL, encryption, firewall, ASA etc. I usually leave that up to the network/security admins and whatever the compliance agency tells me I need to transfer the data. 😀

I didn't win the lotto... 🙁

I've installed it on dev machines and all works fine. Regarding security, we have been supplied with read access to a suppliers table. The SSIS package uses these credentials to grab data from the table and does various things with.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply