SSIS and SQL Linked Server

• hi everyone

I hope everyone is having a good break.

We are trying to use SSIS to get data from an RTDB using a linked SQL server since the RTDB database is in a different network. My question is which connection manager will we need to use to create the connection between SSIS and the linked server which is a sql server database?

kal

• You don't have linked servers in SSIS; Linked Servers is a Data Engine "thing". You can have multiple OLEDB Connections in a package, and those can reference different Servers/Instances in a single SSIS package/project. You just need to create the appropriate OLEDB Connection(s).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Dear Thom

thanks for the reply.

So to connect between SSIS package and a separate linked server I would create an OLEDB connection using the connection managers. Is that the procedure?

Kal

• hurricaneDBA wrote:

So to connect between SSIS package and a separate linked server I would create an OLEDB connection using the connection managers.

You just need to create an OLEDB connection for that instance yes. It's not a "linked server", like I said there is no such thing in SSIS. You can have as many, or as few, connections you want in an SSIS package/project and you can multiple of the same type, and that includes OLEDB. So you could have 4 OLEDB connections in the package/project that all point to completely different RDBMS instances, and when you want to use that connection, just select to correct one for the connection manager in your task.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply