SSIS Execute Process Task Standard Output/Error variables

• I keep waiting for my SSIS light bulb to go on, but the more I try to work with it the worse it seems to me. My latest questions:

1.I have an Execute Process Task to run a command line FTP session (because MS refuses to fix the horrid bug that keeps their FTP from working with IBM mainframes). It works (finally), and it populates the StandardOutputVariable and StandardErrorVariable with the expected contents. But my (dumb) question is now, how do I take those variables and append them to some text log files?

2.My second dumb question is: why do I have to execute the entire package to use the debugger to expose the variables? When I simply execute the task (right click) the debugger will stop on the OnPostExecute event, but not show any locals.

3. How do I clear the Execution Results page? It seems to start fresh after a successful run, but while I am getting failures it gets junked up with all my failed attempts?

• Anybody?

• Jim Russell (9/2/2008)

1.I have an Execute Process Task to run a command line FTP session (because MS refuses to fix the horrid bug that keeps their FTP from working with IBM mainframes). It works (finally), and it populates the StandardOutputVariable and StandardErrorVariable with the expected contents. But my (dumb) question is now, how do I take those variables and append them to some text log files?

Use ScriptTask:

Imports System

Imports System.IO

Imports Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime

Public Class ScriptMain

Public Sub Main()

Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Success

Try

If Not File.Exists(Dts.Variables("LogFile").Value.ToString()) Then

File.Create(Dts.Variables("LogFile").Value.ToString()).Close()

End If

Dim writer As New StreamWriter(Dts.Variables("LogFile").Value.ToString(), True)

writer.WriteLine(Date.Now.ToLongTimeString() + " " + Dts.Variables("var").Value.ToString())

writer.Close()

Catch ex As Exception

Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Failure

System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)

End Try

End Sub

End Class

Don't forget to add variables used in the Script to ReadOnlyVariables property (comma separated, on the same page where you open script designer).

Jim Russell (9/2/2008)

2.My second dumb question is: why do I have to execute the entire package to use the debugger to expose the variables? When I simply execute the task (right click) the debugger will stop on the OnPostExecute event, but not show any locals.

Disable all tasks except those you want to debug (right click -> disable) and then start debugging.

• trueboar: Thanks very much! That helps.

• Thank you very much for posting this great solution. Exactly what I was looking for! Another alternative is posted here: http://blogs.msdn.com/michen/archive/2007/08/02/redirecting-output-of-execute-process-task.aspx

• Hi Jim,

Can you explain how did you write the ftp task using execute process task?

Thanks,

Pankaj

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply