SSIS- Import Unformatted Text file

• Hi,

I need to import unformatted text file to new table. Every row in text file continued in 2 nd row in the file. 2nd row started in 3rd row in the file. FIXED LENGTH file.

Example

0001234567 John minneaplois 000-487-8374 minnesota

america xyz@abc.com 55464

0000998887 peter st paul 000-333-3333 jersey

america abc@xyz.com 08854

0000282822 kevin nashville 900-999-9999 tenneessee

america cde@feg.com 40404

fist two lines are first row

second two lines are second row

third two lines are third row

I need to create a new table and import the text file to new table. The text file is FIXED LENGTH

Thanks,

bmr

• You'll most likely need to use a Script Component for this. I did a presentation on this a while back, feel free to download my sample code here: http://www.timmitchell.net/page/Resources.aspx, under the "SSIS Scripting" event for 8/1/2009.

Let me know if you need a push in the right direction.

hth,

Tim

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Thank you, BUT I am getting this following error and I am not able to open that package

TITLE: Microsoft Visual Studio

------------------------------

The package failed to load due to error 0xC0010014 "One or more error occurred. There should be more specific errors preceding this one that explains the details of the errors. This message is used as a return value from functions that encounter errors.". This occurs when CPackage::LoadFromXML fails.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The package failed to load due to error 0xC0010014 "One or more error occurred. There should be more specific errors preceding this one that explains the details of the errors. This message is used as a return value from functions that encounter errors.". This occurs when CPackage::LoadFromXML fails.

BUTTONS:

OK

Thanks,

bmr

• Could be a version incompatibility. What version of BIDS (Business Intelligence Developer Studio) are you using? The sample was developed using BIDS 2008.

ETL Best Practices

• Mine is 2005 version. Can you send 2005 version file please? If possible. or can you send screen shots or step by step procedure please?

Thanks,

bmr

• Hi Tim/Others,

Similar problem here. I am on VS2005 and unable to open the sample packages.

My situation here is recordset with wrong delimeter: example

"AAA","BBB","CCC","","DDD",,"EEE

That is the 6th field comes as blank - whereas it is expected to be "".

I wish to write a script task that would replace blank to "" and reformat the source flatfile before use it as a source.

Checked the demo scripts from Tim's page - looks like they would have been of great help. But I am unable to open the VS2008 scripts 🙁

Can you please get me a script code snippet to do the needful?

[font="Comic Sans MS"]--
    Sabya[/font]

• For the original issue, unfortunately I don't have BIDS 2008 on this dev machine. I'll attach the C# code snippet, which will hopefully give you some insight into what I suggest (note that you'd need to translate it to VB.NET for use in 2005). I'll describe what is required:

Ordinarily, you'll have one output row for each input row. However, since you're dealing with an unusually-formatted data file, that's not the case here. So you'll need to create one row in your output buffer (see the AddRow() method in the sample file), but you'll be building data from more than one line in the file (note the multiple calls to ReadLine()). This methodology does assume that you've got a consistent structure to the file, specifically that every sequential even/odd line number combination should be merged into a single row of data.

Hopefully this makes some sense - the attached code file should help. Shout out again if you get stuck.

hth,

Tim

ETL Best Practices

• Sorry, duplicate file upload... I did this once and it appeared to hang before the reply was done.

ETL Best Practices

• For the second issue (missing delimiters), I think you may be confusing delimiters with qualifiers. Delimiters separate values within your text, but qualifiers sort of do the opposite, keeping blocks of text together even if they contain the delimiting character - this is especially common in CSV files since you often find values such as "Smith,John" in a CSV file.

That being said, if you have missing qualifiers for blank values, I don't think you'll have a problem with it (note: I haven't explicitly tested this - YMMV). If you have missing quotes around values such as Smith,John then you have a different issue which could get a little tricky.

Shout back if this doesn't answer your question.

hth,

Tim

ETL Best Practices

• Tim,

Sorry I missed your reply somehow. I will check this out and let you know.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]--
    Sabya[/font]

• Thanks Tim for the heads up. Yes - it was my wrong understanding of delimeter and text qualifier. As you suggested to doesn't matter if "" qualifier is not present for null column.

Thank you.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]--
    Sabya[/font]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply