SSIS (Integration Services)

• Hi,

I just finished reading today's article "SQL Server 2005 - SQL Server Integration Services" Part 2, followed SSIS package example and sent a feed back to the Database Journal author Marcin Policht

I thanked him for the excellent and comprehensive tutorial and noted the following about SSIS Package (SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition CTP"

".. I found (or did not find) the following in SQL Server 2005 CTP and I wonder if you noticed the same things.

- I wanted to save the package that I created following the examples in Part 2 as something else. I clicked File -> "Save Package1.dtsx as" and selected a text file. First, I did not see familiar Save as Visual basic script option. Second, when the package was saved as a text file only this text file was visible in the Solution Explorer under Miscellaneous container and at the same time SSIS container was empty. Package1.dtsx just disappeared from Solution Explorer and from the Design Area. It was still in the File System so I imported it again. It was imported as Package1(1) and File->Save as contains now 2 save as options: for Package1(1).dtsx and Copy Of Package1(1)

Looks like sort of a bug. I do understand it is not a release yet.

- I did not find Drop And Re-create table option yet. I had to create a second table in the Tempdb to expand the size of the second column. I could not edit a column width either..."

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Hi Yelena, I am starting to play with SSIS, any advice? Thank you

• Hi Carlos,

I think it is good to read today's editorial that I mentioned

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/articlelink.asp?articleid=1928

It is like a walk-through, easy to follow. It is what I did. Let us here know how it worked for you and what did you find.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Hi,

I am continuing my findings following reading Part 3 of "SQL Server 2005 - SQL Server Integration Services". I do understand it is a pre-release and things may change. How do you like that:

DTExec is a replacement for the Data Transformation Services-based DTSRun..........the semicolon is placed between the property path and its value.

DTExec /FILE SamplePackage.dtsx /SET \Package.Connections[ConnectionID].InitialCatalog;tempdb

I worked with a lot of formats for property-value pairs: no separator, =, : , comma, space, -, - you name it. I just used to semicolon separating different pairs not a property and its value.

Am I too conservative?

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Thanks Yelena, I am reading anything and everything I can put my hands on. I will keep downing that until I figure out how, what, where, when, why, etc for this new DTS stuff. Oops, sorry Microsoft SSIS!!!

Did you receive a connection error message when you tried to create a first package? I did and the solution says that I have to import a certificate! Which one!!!!! Or do I have to create a new one?

Thanks again

Carlos

• Carlos,

I did not get any error messages. But then I followed the example in the article directly.

Did you try certificates before? Maybe you did something as an example before in the database that requires certificate? See the link, maybe it will be helpful. Scroll this article to the part called Encryption.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/05/DataSecurity/default.aspx

On The Horizon: Improved Data Security In SQL Server 2005

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply