SSIS Interview Questions -COMPLEX 1ne

• Most of your questions are answered here:

http://www.pinaldave.com/sql-download/DataWarehousingInterviewQuestionsAnswers.pdf

Regards,

Manish

• Priya,

Edit your first post and put the right answers there.

Rgds,

Rex Smith

• Hey Rex,

I have not recieved exact answers to put into my post, Please provide me I will add them to my post then.

Its just that I have got an understanding of some pattern to answer the questions.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
    ---------------------------------------------------

Thanks [/font]

• Hi, did you find job? I am attending to interviews too, please let me know if you know any SSIS questions with answers, thanks in advance.

• Joshi-400802 (2/27/2011)

Hi, did you find job? I am attending to interviews too, please let me know if you know any SSIS questions with answers, thanks in advance.

I have a great question for you:

Do you have any working knowledge of SSIS and if yes, can you prove it?

If you can answer that one, you are garantueed to get the job!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• And I urge all those who are interviewing for SSIS positions to be wary of relying solely on the replies to stock questions when assessing technical know-how.

Unless they are looking to hire parrots.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Koen Verbeeck (2/27/2011)

-- garantueed --

Right letters, you just wrote them in the wrong order 😀

Yeah, I know, it's Monday.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (2/28/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (2/27/2011)

-- garantueed --

Right letters, you just wrote them in the wrong order 😀

Yeah, I know, it's Monday.

Well, look at that 🙂

Besided from the fact that it is currently Monday, I am also non-native English-speaker, so I am excused of any grammar or spelling mistakes on my part 😀

• Non-native you may be, but your English is still (usually!) better than many native speakers, otherwise I would not have written the post:-)

• Just poking my head into the conversation to say the following:

I was a hiring manager for a couple years and hired many SSIS developers. As others have stated in this thread, there is no substitute for knowing SSIS. Memorizing the answers to interview questions will only help you get a job with a company that knows so little about using SSIS that they will hire anyone who can memorize answers to their interview questions. Is that the kind of company you want to work for?

Also - and this is important: I never asked a question in a technical interview, received an answer, and moved to the next question. I always asked questions about the things the interviewee told me in their response (just in case, as crazy as this sounds, someone was trying to josh their way onto my team by memorizing a bunch of SSIS interview question answers).

:{>

Andy Leonard, Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data & Analytics

• Hi, Koen Verbeeck

Yes I do have experience in SSIS, I am using SSIS since last 3+ years.

Thanks

• Joshi-400802 (3/1/2011)

Hi, Koen Verbeeck

Yes I do have experience in SSIS, I am using SSIS since last 3+ years.

Thanks

Great, then you should have absolutely no problem with a technical interview about SSIS, I'm sure of that.

I hope your confidence in yourself is as high as mine 🙂

• Difference Between the MERGE and MERGE JOIN

MERGE - similar to JOIN operation. Only joins only two inputs. If there are more than two inputs UNIONALL is used

MERGE JOIN - select the type of JOIN (LEFT, INNER, FULL) you wish to make.

Similarities between these two:

1) Both needs sorted input.

2) Same i/p type (Int, char)

• 4. How often did you DELETE/ UPDATE your FACT tables?I said I never delete from fact I only insert in fact tables they are not satisfied...

Ans : When ever the package get failed you need to rerun the package, at the time of rerunning you will delete the data which is already there for running date.

Ex : If you are running the package for 11/09/2011, Package got failed at the end of the package. If your rerunning the package from the SSMS package will run from the scratch until and unless if you put the Check point files in your package.At the time you will look for the today's data in the fact table , If it exists you will delete the data.

Update : when the fields are getting changed like Address you will perform the update operation.

5. What BEST practices did you follow in your packages (control flow/data flow)?

• sris84 19444 (11/8/2011)

4. How often did you DELETE/ UPDATE your FACT tables?I said I never delete from fact I only insert in fact tables they are not satisfied...

Ans : When ever the package get failed you need to rerun the package, at the time of rerunning you will delete the data which is already there for running date.

Ex : If you are running the package for 11/09/2011, Package got failed at the end of the package. If your rerunning the package from the SSMS package will run from the scratch until and unless if you put the Check point files in your package.At the time you will look for the today's data in the fact table , If it exists you will delete the data.

Almost got a heart attack when reading this. Deletes in a fact table? Just because you have to run the package twice? Your package should be intelligent enough to find out that records already exist and not insert them, or alternatively, update them. If you have a checksum check configured, than the package doesn't even have to do the updates, as it will detect that the rows have not changed.

edit: an even better solution is to incorporate transactions in your package, so that if the package fails, rows that were inserted/updated are rollbacked.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply