SSIS Jobs running under SQL Server Agent

• I would be grateful for some help.

I have built several jobs under SSIS. These jobs are mainly jobs getting data from another Server. It would be ideal to have these run under SQL Server Agent overnight. When I try however they fail.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

David Halliday

• Do you get an error when the job fails? If so, please post the error message here.

Thanks

Greg

Greg

• Gregg

Thank you for your interest. I have a SSIS Job with six steps. The first five steps run stored procedures to truncate tables 1 to 5. Step 6 goes to another Server with a SSIS dtsx task and reloads table 1

The error message I get is the job failed at step 6. I am sure that there is a log file somewhere with more information but I can't find it. I am very new to SSIS

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

David

• I have narrowed the problem down to a login problem.

Say I login with username 'smith' on the home and remote machine.

They have different passwords. This is accomplished through different connections on SSIS. When the job is run under SSIS it runs perfectly.

When the job is run under SQL Server Agent it fails with a login error.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Regards

David

• I suspect this is the classic "SQL Server Agent security" problem. I've found this KnowledgeBase article helpful: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918760

Greg

Greg

• Gregg

Thanks I will try it

David

• If using 2 different accounts on 2 different servers, use Windows authentication in your SSIS Task connection manager for both connections.

Regards

Kevin

• Kevin

I have approached the Senior DBA to try to get permission to do this, but this company is funny.

Thanks for your input, I will try again

David

• Hi David

I had a similar issue. One connection was pointing to local server (using local server's sa logon account), the other connection was pointing to another server (using that server's sa logon account). When running the SSIS task via SQL Server Business Intelligence Dev Studio (Solution explorer, SSIS Packages, right-click Package.dtsx, Execute Package) the local server sa logon account failed authentication. I changed the SSIS Task connection (connection manager) for local server to use Windows authentication, since the SSIS Task is run from local server, using either sa or Windows authentication makes no difference as far as security is concerned.

Regards

Kevin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply