SSIS move file task is erroring out.

• All,

I've got a package that downloads Excel files from an FTP site then loads them to a table in SQL Server at at the end archives the files to another folder.

I've written packages like this hundreds of times, and in fact have similar packages running here now.

However with this particular package the archive task is failing with the error "The parameter is incorrect".

I've compared it to other similar packages and the set up is the same.

I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this.

I've got source, archive and filename as variables, and the foreachfile container works fine and loops through the files with no issues. It's simply the move file task that fails.

Here are some screen shots for clarity's sake:

Variables:

ForeachFile containier:

Move File:

• Looks good to me.

Have you tried adding a breakpoint on the File System Task & verifying that all of the various variables are looking OK?

Is there anything 'unusual' about the characters in the file name itself?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Yep. I added a break point and checked the variables and the filename, source, archive etc... all looked as I would expect.

• craig.bobchin (12/14/2015)

Yep. I added a break point and checked the variables and the filename, source, archive etc... all looked as I would expect.

As the FST is basically a 'black box', there's not much more that you can do in terms of debugging.

So you get to some options which start to leave a bad taste in the mouth:

- Delete the FST and create another one, to see whether the problem magically resolves itself.

- Delete the FST and replace it with a script task which does the file move for you.

- Open the package in an XML editor and look for weird stuff in the FST section.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Well Here's the solution I came up with.

I created a new data connection to the existing source directory and use that in the move file task along with the variable for the archive path replacing the old sourcefile variable.

That seems to work. But now a new issue has arisen, The Excel connection won't recognize new files that I download from the FTP site. Exact same format, just the file name and of course the data changes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply