SSIS package design time

• I'm using the ssis 2008.

I am testing a package in design time, if I run in visual studio, will it use the connection string in the connection manager or it will use the one in configuration file?

My guess it is using what is defined in the connection manager?

How about if I run it using dts utility by double clicking the package, does it use configuration file?

If the configuration file missing, does it use the connection defined in the connection manager?

Thanks

• Your correct. Running in design time will result in using the connections from the connection manager rather than you file.

Running any package not in design will ensure the package uses your config file or package variables.

Again yes, if your config file is missing then the package will use the packages default (design time) connection manager. Unfortunatly it will not tell you that the config file is missing, so you may be using the default settings in real time due to a spelling mistake or missing folder, it can be a pain to track down after deployment :-P.

• sqlfriends (9/9/2011)

I'm using the ssis 2008.

I am testing a package in design time, if I run in visual studio, will it use the connection string in the connection manager or it will use the one in configuration file?

My guess it is using what is defined in the connection manager?

How about if I run it using dts utility by double clicking the package, does it use configuration file?

If the configuration file missing, does it use the connection defined in the connection manager?

Thanks

When you open your package in visual studio, it will look for package configurations and configure your connection managers if the package configurations are found.

This means that design time values are overwritten when you open your package. However, if you manually change the connection manager after the package has been opened, the package will use those new values and not those from the config file. (if you would re-open the package, the design time values would again be overwritten).

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• When you open your package in visual studio, it will look for package configurations and configure your connection managers if the package configurations are found.

This means that design time values are overwritten when you open your package. However, if you manually change the connection manager after the package has been opened, the package will use those new values and not those from the config file. (if you would re-open the package, the design time values would again be overwritten).

I'm confused now by above statement, I thought at design time, if I run it in visual studio, it uses the connection in connection manager.Only when we run the package from dts utility or SQL job it will use the configuration file.

And I verified this true because the connection in my test manager is connected to test server, and the one in package configuration is production server, when I run in design time, my test server data got changed but not my production server.

And this statement is contradicted with the above message wildh posted, which I think it is correct.

• sqlfriends (9/14/2011)

When you open your package in visual studio, it will look for package configurations and configure your connection managers if the package configurations are found.

I'm confused now by above statement, I thought at design time, if I run it in visual studio, it uses the connection in connection manager.Only when we run the package from dts utility or SQL job it will use the configuration file.

And I verified this true because the connection in my test manager is connected to test server, and the one in package configuration is production server, when I run in design time, my test server data got changed but not my production server.

And this statement is contradicted with the above message wildh posted, which I think it is correct.

It depends. Are your connection managers directly configured with package configurations. or do you specify a configuration file when you run the package?

All my packages are configured with package configurations using a SQL Server config table. When I open my packages, the configurations are applied to my connection managers (an environment variable on my computer points my package to the config table). You can see this in the messages window: there you can see configuration messages and/or warnings.

• We use enviroment variable that points to an xml config file.

So really confused by what you said.

• Allright, a picture says more than a thousand words. See the file in attachment.

It is a screenshot of the validation messages when I open a package. (apparently, in this case, the configution failed :-))

• so do you agree what wildh says in his post:

Running in design time will result in using the connections from the connection manager rather than you file.

Running any package not in design will ensure the package uses your config file or package variables.

• sqlfriends (9/14/2011)

so do you agree what wildh says in his post:

Running in design time will result in using the connections from the connection manager rather than you file.

No, I don't. Package configurations will override design time defaults when you open the package. It doesn't matter if the configuration comes from a table or a file.

The only way that design time defaults are not overwritten, is when the configurations fails, or when you don't use package configurations, but specify the configuration file explicitly at runtime.

• Koen Verbeeck (9/14/2011)

sqlfriends (9/14/2011)

so do you agree what wildh says in his post:

No, I don't. Package configurations will override design time defaults when you open the package. It doesn't matter if the configuration comes from a table or a file.

The only way that design time defaults are not overwritten, is when the configurations fails, or when you don't use package configurations, but specify the configuration file explicitly at runtime.

+1.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• No, I don't. Package configurations will override design time defaults when you open the package. It doesn't matter if the configuration comes from a table or a file.

Thank you, could you point me to any good articles or online documentation that illustrate the precedence of connnection in connection manager or configuration files?

Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply