SSIS, PORTS and Access categories

• Dear Everyone

I was asked to provide a table listing which ports need to be opened on the firewall and what access categories will be required to get SSIS to extract data from the following data sources.

1. Oracle database on a different network. Will i need to open another port beside 135?
    2. SAP database on a different VLAN
    3. Excel and XML files from a file share

For the above data sources which access level can i give to the SSIS packages? Is it only read and write or are there other options?

Let me know as i dont have alot of experience with SSIS

Kal

• Kal hi!

Oracle port can be found in your local tnsnames.ora for appropriate db registered.

SAP application is database independent and runs on Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, SAP HANA, SAP Sybase, MySQL, etc.

So, what port to use depends on underlying db server.

File shares - see link below :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/298804/internet-firewalls-can-prevent-browsing-and-file-sharing

• hurricaneDBA wrote:

For the above data sources which access level can i give to the SSIS packages? Is it only read and write or are there other options?

What permission you need totally depends on what you need to do. "Read and Write" is more of a File Share permission style; an RDBMS has far more permissions than just read and write. File Shares have more permissions than Read and Write as well. In Windows you have Execute and Modify as well (modify let's you amend an existing file but not create one, for example).

Only you know what you need permission wise, as we don't have enough information on what your goals are here. If you aren't familiar enough with what permissions you need on Oracle/SAP, you'll be best talking to your respective DBAs.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thank you for the replies let me be more specific.

Were building the infrastructure for a solution which will utilize the power Bi service but keep the data on premises.

So we have multiple data sources from different databases, flat files, etc.

part of the infrastructure is using SSIS to extract the data from these data sources.

Our CISO has requested more information about how SSIS is utilized to extract the data so I need to put the what port SSIS uses to extract data, what provider will be used by SSIS TO CONNECT to the data source so how SSIS connects, which port it uses, etc.

so I read online that SSIS uses port 135 but which access can we setup to extract data only from the data sources?

Kal

• hurricaneDBA wrote:

Our CISO has requested more information about how SSIS is utilized to extract the data so I need to put the what port SSIS uses to extract data, what provider will be used by SSIS TO CONNECT to the data source so how SSIS connects, which port it uses, etc. Kal

SSIS has many connection options - such as OLE DB, ODBC, ADO.NET, flat file, etc...  Which one is used will be determined by what system you are connecting to and how that system is configured.

For example - if you are connecting to a SQL Server named instance you would use the OLE DB connection and it will connect using the port defined for that named instance and not the default port.  If you are connecting to a Vertica database - you would connect on port 5422 (or a different port if that system is not using the default port).

Asking what port SSIS uses is meaningless...it all depends on the destination and how that destination is configured for each connection in an SSIS project/package.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi Jeff
    The source is the data sources and the destination is SSIS which will then transform the data and store it into data marts in the DW. This is then sent to SSAS which analyses it and then is accessed using powerBI to generate reports and dashboards.

Kal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply