SSIS running on cluster w/2 SQL instances

• I’ve come across a couple of cases where the SSIS packages created by the developers could not been seen nor modified after creation on a SQL environment which was a “named instance”. In both these cases it turns out that the configuration file controlling the Integration Service, MsDtsSrvr.ini.xml, was looking for the default rather than the named instance. This was easy enough to fix on single instance machines.

Now my question is what do I do with a clustered environment where I have 2 named instances running? I tried updating the ini file with both server instance names :crazy: but it only sees the first. This means the both instances then "appear" to have the same SSIS packages on them. Example is both see the same maintenance plans. How to I get around this so that both will see their own pkgs without having to modify the ini file each time?

Thanks!!!

- Mike

• We have a development server running two instances of SQL Server 2005, a default instance and a named instance. I just modified the MsDtsSrvr.ini.xml file to show the msdb folders in both instances. I used XML Notepad 2007 to duplicate the MSDB folder for the default instance then modified the servername element to point to the named instance (MyDevServer\MyNamedInstance). I then stopped and restarted Integration Services using SQL Server Configuration Manager. I could then see both folders in Object Explorer.

😎

• Hi Lynn,

I'm not sure what should be updated. Here is a copy of my ini file. With it like this both instances see the same packages!

Thanks - Mike

• Ini should now be attached!:w00t:

• I added a second MSDB entry to your file. You will need to edit it as appropriate. After replacing this and restarting IS, when you attach IS to Object Explorer in SSMS, you should see both sets of folders and the packages installed in each.

It works okay on our server here.

• Thank you!!:)

• Works great, thanks again!

I was a bit worried about seeing both folders but doesn't do any harm so all is well!!

-M

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply