SSIS SHARING Between Two Developers

• Does anyone have ideas on the best way to share SSIS packages between two users?

• Visual Source Safe is a functional product that we use. I'm not a huge fan of this particular code repository; however, it does work. If you can splurge a little bit, I would recomend team foundation server. Much easier.

• I would tend to suggest many of the source control packages to handle concurrency. Is that your problem?

CEWII

• cm62597 (10/5/2009)

Does anyone have ideas on the best way to share SSIS packages between two users?

You may check the open source Subversion[/url]. It is a much better alternative to Visual SourceSafe.

---
    SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

• I use Source Safe and like it just fine.

I have also used Vault by SourceGear which isnt bad either.

• Don't save the package with a user key in package properties, protection level. Either set "Don't save sensitive" or "Encrypt .... with password" and set a password you can both use.

We set a standard password for groups of packages so there aren't too many to remember and we only deploy to server storage so SQL security takes over later.

• I would think as a practice you would try to save NO protected information in the package.

In the cases we did we had that data in config files, everything else used trusted connections, which in my view is the preferred solution..

CEWII

• Thanks for the help. We have decided to go the password route. I like that idea the most...seems to work very well.

Chad

• Elliott W (10/8/2009)

I would think as a practice you would try to save NO protected information in the package.

In the cases we did we had that data in config files, everything else used trusted connections, which in my view is the preferred solution..

CEWII

I HIGHLY recommend you follow Elliot's advice.

Create a template package to use that has all the defaults setup including this.

• Template packages!!! Yay!! I have been working on one for all my BI stuff that includes all the underlying infrastructure.. I still have to go back to the one's I created before but each new one is that much easier..

CEWII

• My experience also is that "Don't Save Sensitive.." and relying on Trusted Connections is by far the easiest way to do shared development.

Other crucial aspects facilitating successful collaborative development in SSIS are, a run-time architectural standard (share names, and directory/subdirectory names), standardized configurations and use of environment variables, and universally setting "Defer Validation" on your packages and all contained tasks.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Oh and yes, Template Packages are also a huge help.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply