SSIS Top Node of XML Schema

• I am trying to import XML docs into a database through SSIS. I have the package setup and it reads all of the nodes except the top most (and tying piece) from the XSD. I have recreated an XSD, but still no luck.

Here is what the XSD looks like.

Any ideas how to get the RepNo string to populate so I can use it downstream (the field is in every XML doc. XSD recreated from XML doc using Visual Studio as well as BIDS.)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Can you post just a small sample of the xml doc itself and also the xsd?

Out of interest, have you tried using something like IE to view the xml but add the reference to the xsd so it validates it? I guess - have you used any tools to validate the XML doc against the xsd?

Steve.

• Yes the xml validates and I have tried. SSIS reads the xml files just fine. I can get the data loaded - but I really can't tie the data together between the nodes without that Repno field.

Learn Extended Events

• It seems like there is a known issue when trying to get the attributes out of the outer most node.

In this blog in a comment they mention "Your best bet is to massage the data bit with XSLT before processing.", which is described here.

If that's not an option you might consider using a SQL task to get the top attributes.

Something like

;WITH xmlnamespaces(DEFAULT 'urn:reuterscompanycontent:referenceinformation03')

SELECT

c.value ('@Major[1]','varchar(10)') a,

c.value ('@Minor[1]','varchar(10)') b,

c.value ('@Revision[1]','varchar(10)') d

FROM @xml.nodes('ReferenceInformation') T(c)

Then merge the data. Kinda dirty approach though... But I couldn't find any easier option than the two I mentioned. Maybe shredding the XML data using XQuery instead of SSIS could be an option, too...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Thanks. XML is not my first language, nor my second, third ....tenth, etc etc.

Learn Extended Events

• If I can be of any help, lemme know...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply