SSMS - feature

• On a fresh install of SQL 2008 SSMS with the exact code given no message appears for me. Holding CTRL and click does as described, but the non-CTRL behaviour I found was nothing ie first answer. SSMS 2005 for me did show the pop-up text.

Fitz

• Very cool trick, didn't know about this. Thanks for sharing!

=============================================================
    /* Backups are worthless, Restores are priceless */

Get your learn on at SQL University!
    Follow me on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn
    My blog: http://sqlchicken.com
    My book: Pro Server 2008 Policy-Based Management

• I have SQLEXPRESS 2008 + the free SSMS tool. There is no popup - but CTRL changes your cursor to a pointer (still no tooltip though, and nothing in the status bar)

I have no internet access on my SQL machine - so I tried it with

/* file:///C:/Temp/scratch.sql */

and got the IE File Download warning, (open/save/cancel) - the file opens fine, but also leaves a tab in SSMS "No Page to Display" showing an "Action Cancelled" IE page.

• I get nothing.

If I hold down the Ctrl key and hover my mouse over the link, then the pointer turns to a hand, and clicking on the link brings it up.

• I get:

1. I have to press CTRL first. The finger shows up and I can click the URL.

2. I don't get any pop-up instructions.

I'm using SSMS 10.0.2531.0 (2008).

It's an interesting feature, though, and one that can make code more self-documenting.

• By the way, this feature is documented. From MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173887.aspx): SQL Server Management Studio hosts a version of Microsoft Internet Explorer. This Web browser allows you to browse URLs, and view MSDN Library help topics without leaving SQL Server Management Studio. You can access the Web browser by pointing to Web Browser on the View menu, and then clicking Show Browser.

Steve Eckhart

• Wow, what a cool feature. I had no idea. Thanks!

And it works in SQL 2005 😛

• I also get nothing unless I hold down the Ctrl key while hovering over the link with the mouse.

It then works as stated but no popups happen. It is always interesting where we assume "default" behaviors would work but rarely do they work on everyone's machines the same...

• Very interesting. I had no idea you could do that. Thanks.

• Yeah, just hovering. Not so much. Ctrl required.

• I had the same experience I see a lot of others posting.

With a SQL Server 2008 installation on a machine with Internet Explorer as the default browser and access to the internet, nothing happens when I hold my mouse over the url.

If I press the ctrl key and move the mouse on the url the cursor changes to a hand but no popup. Then I can click the link and it opens in a new SSMS tab.

Nice feature in SSMS I never knew about.

Dave

• I just tested this, and got the following results:

SSMS 2005 - popup came up "CTRL-Click to open...", CTRL-click opens in a new tab.

SSMS 2008 - NO POPUP, CTRL-click opens in a new tab.

So I'm guessing they removed the tooltip popup in SSMS 2008, but not the underlying functionality?

• sknox (3/24/2010)

SSMS 2005 - popup came up "CTRL-Click to open...", CTRL-click opens in a new tab.

SSMS 2008 - NO POPUP, CTRL-click opens in a new tab.

So I'm guessing they removed the tooltip popup in SSMS 2008, but not the underlying functionality?

Right. Looks like an additional piece of criteria was needed. "in SSMS 2005."

Dave

• Very nice. I didn't know about this.

It seems that you can only have one web tab open though... it would be REALLY nice if you could open up multiple tabs.

Then when the boss says something about being on the web, I can show how I'm actually working in SSMS:-P

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Yeah...no luck here either without CTRL held down.

I found they that the option under Text Editor > Any Option > General, includes an "Enable single-click URL navigation". This was clicked apparently by default under my instance of SSMS but it does not work.:-P

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply