SSMS Freezing up or is slow to respond

• Symptoms:

I am in SSMS and right-click "Edit Top 200 Rows". Once in the table I change criteria or selected columns and everything gets frozen for a while. At the same time my CPU raises to 25% for no valid reason. The problem happens in SSMS 2005 or 2008. It is not possible to work in such an environment because it happens every time and at many other places like the SQL query window. The problem is only on the client side so there is nothing to verify using the Profiler. It happens on every server I connect. The same thing happens in Microsoft Access 2007.

I got this very annoying bug since I have a new computer. I have no idea what cause the problem but I have found a workaround that I wanted to share. I am probably not the only person who gets the problem but I haven't found any solutions elsewhere.

I have:

HP EliteBook 8540P

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

SQL Server 2005 SP3

SQL Server 2008 SP2

Visual Studio 2010

Microsoft Office 2007

The workaround:

I simply run any of those applications (SSMS or Access) using "Run as administrator". When I use this mode everything runs smoothly.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Any idea what cause the problem and how I could resolve this issue without having to run as admin?

• my guess would be windows UAC is screwing with you.

try disabling it?

--
    Thiago Dantas
    @DantHimself

• Removing UAC will only deactivate the warning ("Do you want to allow ...") I receive everytime I "Run as Administrator". It does not resolve my problem.

But thanks for the idea.

• Thank you so much.

I've been struggling with the same thing ever since I rebuilt my PC a month or so back. Yesterday it nearly drove me to kicking my PC, and today as soon as I started to write anything in Query editor it froze again half way through writing SELECT

Its still early days, as I only made the "Run as Administrator" change about 15 mins ago but so far no freezing.

I can feel my blood pressure dropping as we speak........

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply