SSMS maxing out memory

• SQL Server 2008 R2 running on Windows Server R2 Standard on Virtual Machine

I've been working on a stable platform as a contractor until yesterday afternoon when my interface in SSMS started to have problems refreshing--Screen would go white, Not Responding would be displayed in the menu bar, etc.

I've been trying to understand what has changed and how to fix it but decided to officially cry 'uncle'.

The obvious question is 'What did you change prior to this starting up?' So far, all I can say is 'nothing'. I was just happily editing some code which was being stored on the C drive of the virtual machine. Clearly something changed, but I do not know what it is/was. There are many aspects of my work environment that I do not have control over.

Here's what I can see: SSMS is pegging the memory available to the processor that is running its thread. Periodically it cycles down and then after 60 - 90 seconds starts rapidly ramping up again until it is pegged at about 1.4 GB--the max that this virtual machine is granted. It sits there for a few minutes and then it drops.

I can watch this cycle occur while nothing is occurring in SSMS and no one is using this (my personal dev) SQL Server. Making changes doesn't seem to change the cycle at all: I've stopped the Agent services, I've killed intellisense and short of not yet deleting my 2 linked servers I'm at a loss for what to try next.

I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions!

Thanks!

• Is it the ssms process or is it SQL server that keeps doing that?

32 bit or 64 bit?

does it happen when executing code or just with ssms open?

Does the same thing happen if ssms is closed?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Is it the ssms process or is it SQL server that keeps doing that?

=> Definitely SSMS. The SQL Server instance is pretty constant at 170 mb.

32 bit or 64 bit?

=> 32 bit and Windows Server is running 64. This installation has been up and running fine for 2.5 months.

does it happen when executing code or just with ssms open?

=> With just SSMS open.

Does the same thing happen if ssms is closed?

=> No.

SSMS has to be open and I need to have at least one query window open with a file open from my C drive. I've just been playing around and figured out that if I edit a file from my E drive, I don't have this 'feature'. However, the minute I open a file off of my C drive, the memory use starts cycling to the max.

I'm currently suspicious that there is some network process crawling my C drive. One of the other developers here implied that there is some network process that tries to find files on the local drives to back up--spurious info at best but it's what I've got.

Any ideas on how I could detect/verify this? Or, any other ideas of what's going on?

Thanks!

• It's possible that AV is running against the C as well and not the E.

I would check antivirus exclusions and settings.

As for the "backup crawler" - monitor task manager for any processes you don't recognize

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply