SSMS not closing

• Has anyone else had an issue with SSMS.exe not shutting down when you close SSMS? I recently got a new PC at the office, and I've found that it sometimes leaves SSMS running for me. When I go into task manager I'll sometimes find 25+ of them running, each taking up 2-3% of my CPU. It doesn't do it every time, but I can't nail down if there is something specific I may be doing to make it happen. (i.e. I've tried closing it with query result sets still open, not closing connections before closing SSMS, etc. and can't 100% reproduce it...sometimes it closes out ssms.exe, and sometimes it doesn't).

The Redneck DBA

• Jason did you happen to install any SSMS add ons that might not be letting go?

What add-ons for SSMS do you have installed so far?

I have three or four add ons, but I'm not seeing that behavior, but that's where i'd look first.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hadn't even thought about that...that's a good thing to check. I haven't installed any, but I do have Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2008, as well as TFS tools installed. I wonder if one of those might have installed something. I'll look into that.

The Redneck DBA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply