SSMS Recently Used Server List

• I know I've seen a post about this, but I can't seem to find it, so I'm asking again.

Management Studio has remembered some server logins that I don't want in the list, because they do not exist any more, or it's associated login A with server B, or I just don't use it any more.

How can I get rid of those? I've done google searches and registry searches and driven myself crazy:crazy:,

and I can't seem to find the right place to look.

• Wayne what you are after is stored in the registry, and it depends on which verison of SSMS you are using for the exact key;

the lazy way is to regedit and search for the last server you connected to;

for example, i found this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\SuperSocketNetLib\LastConnect

had a zillion last servers in it:

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Also, something to consider if you have a lot of servers would be to keep your updated list in the 'Registered Servers' tab. I started doing that with my current job because we have over 100 SQL Servers and it's a good way to keep them categorized in groups.

└> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Lowell (5/7/2010)

Wayne what you are after is stored in the registry, and it depends on which verison of SSMS you are using for the exact key;

the lazy way is to regedit and search for the last server you connected to;

for example, i found this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\SuperSocketNetLib\LastConnect

had a zillion last servers in it:

I looked in that registry key, and I only had one listing.

I searched for the name of the server I want to remove, by name, by IP, by instance name, and by login name, and no matches...

I'm using SQL 2008 x64 developer edition. If anyone else has any clues, I would appreciate them.

• search for mru.dat file in Application Data folder and delete that file.

Hope that should work.

Thanks,

Nag

Nag
    ------------------------------------------------
    How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply