SSRS 2005

• Dear All,

Iam new to SSRS.

I have installed in SSRS 2005 in one box and our database server is in another box.

How can I configure that database server to reportserver to generate Reports?

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards,

Ravi.

• Where are the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases located?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• SSRS is installed in Box1 with default settings [ Reportserver and ReportServerTempdb are located in BOX 1]

Database server [production server - where our Production databases located ] in BOX2.

Thanks and Regards,

Ravi.

• ravisamigo (6/20/2011)

How can I configure that database server to reportserver to generate Reports?

Ravi, looking at this question, I just realized I don't understand what you mean by it. Could you explain it in a little more detail?

What exactly are you trying to do?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• When you open visual studio for business intelligence (bids) you will be asked to create a connection. This is where you point to the correct database and server. They can be on any other server and can even be on lower versions (never tried higher but usually that fails with ms).

The databases on the reportserver are used only as system databases. You don't have to ship your data over there.

• Following on from what The Ninja said above, in BIDS you would set up your connection to Box2 to enable the report to pull back information from your production server

Then once you have created and tested the report, you would then set up the deployment properties to push your report to the ReportServer database on Box1, which then allows users to see the report via the ReportManager webpage

This is all handled within BIDS, you do not need to do anything to either server through SSMS to enable Box1 to host reports pulling data from Box2 or any other server

• Are you stating that you installed the IIs components on a different box, or another SQL server service?

You can install the IIS components on a server, open the connection to the configuration manger using a box URI such as \\mySSRSIIS\reports\ and create a new data source that has a connection string pointing to your SQL instance where the data is stored (which would possibly best be a replicated source if you have the extra SQL server license on another box).

Sorry, not quite sure what you were looking for. Sounds like you setup another SQL server service.

• Thank you all for your valid replies !!

As I earlier said, Iam new to SSRS.

I have installed SSRS 2005 with default settings in SERVER 1, but our production databases are in SERVER 2.

I can generate the reports at locally i.e SERVER 1 ( using AdventureWords db).

Now, my question is how I can connect the SERVER2 from SERVER1 or SERVER1 from SERVER2 to generate the reports ?

how to set the connection strings to produce reports?

I hope it would be clear.

Please advice.

Thanks and Regards,

Ravi.

• When you create a report in BIDS (and it doesn't really matter where BIDS is installed, whether on server1, server2 or on another machine as long as they can connect to each other) you set up your connection to your production server when you create the data source. This enables you to report on the data in your production system

Then, when you choose your deployment options (right click on the report project name in the solution explorer panel in BIDS) you can choose the URL of your reporting server which will then deploy the report, so users can access it through the ReportManager webpage

You do not need to set up any links between the two servers, the ReportServer database will store the report and the credentials used to connect to your production server and will invoke these when someone calls the report

• Think of your reports themselves as a website. You are storing how the formatting of the web pages will look within a database. That is then rendered when the report is called, with the data needed. Your report is actually formatted in XML. That XML is parsed into HTML by the report server IIS. When you have an input, it's just html input fields that post to a form where the IIS components call database queries using a data source that points to your primary data server.

For SSRS you will need your end data source. The primary SQL server, data warehouse, read only mirror, or replication (most likely transactional). On this server or another SQL server you will need to install the databases for SSRS to store how each report is rendered. On the reporting server or another, depending on use and server speed, you will need an IIS to host the reporting mechanisms that will be accessible from IIS.

If you are doing CPU based license, you could have the SSRS databases on the primary and the IIS components on a secondary for good performance and less $$ spent. If you have a reporting server setup, you could also set up replication and use it to share load. Side topics though, just some options to look at if you do have 2 SQL server boxes running... in case it will help.

Either way, you will need to setup the report manager within IIS so that you can deploy your reports. You will build the actual reports from BIDS (Business Intellegence Development Studio) AKA Visual Studio in a differently labeled form for report parsing support. Looks like you might need a book. I am going to suggest SSRS for Dummies. I am stating this as I have it. I have bibles and all those "big kid" boos, but sometimes there is just a basic reference and this book has that guide. It is very helpful when trying to bring anyone else up to speed. I am not so good with words and this book puts things in a clear language. Plus, it's a cheap reference. Can't be the master without knowing the basics!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply