SSRS 2005 Integrate with web site

• Hi Guys,

I work for the GAS company and we already have our own web site using crystal report for our customer tariff, information and so on. But I want to change it to SQL Reporting Server in SQL 2005 for all our reports.

Is that a good way to implement this?

Also, I already setup the SSRS 2005 server on one of my production server. Reports are great but interface/design is not good as normal website. When I open a report from our web site, open up another page in SQL 2005 SSRS and design is so simple.

Anyway can I add SSRS reporting control into our web site?

And how can I change design for SSRS 2005 web page?

Any Idea?

Anybody done this before? if do so, can I look at the sample web site?

Thanks.

Leo

• You can integrate your SSRS reports into a web site by using VS2005/8 ReportViewer control. I have provided all the info you need in the thread below, you use the ReportViewer control in remote mode.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic656587-150-1.aspx#bm656707

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• That website is quite useful. Thanks.

I have a few question to ask.

Can we create 'rdl' report file in VS2005 report viewer control without having SQL Reporting Service?

What is the advantages of using SQL Reporting Service instead of Crystal Report?

Leo

• You do that with the ReportViewer control in Local mode which means you just use ADO.NET dataset using queries with all RDBMS and even text files. You can also develop the ReportViewer Local mode version in SQL Server Express Toolkit edition.

What is the advantages of using SQL Reporting Service instead of Crystal Report?

It comes with SQL Server free yes you can get limited Crystal Report in Visual Studio but with SSRS you just buy SQL Server for Remote mode and you can use Local mode free without cost.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi Gift,

What do you mean SQL Remote Mode and Local Mode? i.e Remote Mode and Local Mode is already included in SQL Server when you buy it from Microsoft, isn't it?

Leo

• What do you mean SQL Remote Mode and Local Mode? i.e Remote Mode and Local Mode is already included in SQL Server when you buy it from Microsoft, isn't it?

Hi Leo,

That is very good question but the Local and Remote mode in this case is of the ReportViewer control which is actually part of Visual Studio and not SQL Server. That is the reason in Local mode you can use it to create reports using queries with any DBMS Access included and even text files. And most small companies use SQL Server Express the toolkit edition to create reports in local mode and run without spending any money.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi Gift,

Thanks.

Leo

• I am glad I could help.

🙂

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply