ssrs 2010 report server with lots of warning messages

• Can a report server 2010 stop running or execute slowing when too many warning messages are generated? I am asking this question due to the following situation?

In an existing ssrs 2010 report, I changed changed a report to 2 main tablixes. When I execute the modified report, I get the following warning message, "========== Build: 1 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
    [rsParseErrorInvalidSize] Near character position 733 in the input string, the value of the font-size property for the textrun ‘stringtemplate3.Paragraphs[0].TextRuns[0]’ is “14px”, which is not a valid size.  Valid sizes may not exceed 455 inches (1155.7 centimeters). Preview complete -- 0 errors, 1 warnings". The warning message is due to html embedded within a varchar(max) column.

When I run the report with the modified html stored in the varchar(max) field called "stringtemplate3", the warning message goes away.

I am asking this question since there are already existing rows in the database where this warning message will occur. This warning message will occur until the next school year starts.

Thus can the  report server 2010 stop running or execute slowing when too many warning messages are generated? If so, is there anything I can look at in log files to see where the message may see there may be a problem that is occurring?

• Warnings won't really slow the report down, per say, but they could give you unexpected results. Some items may not display what you were expecting, or in the layout you wanted. These unexpected, and possibly odd, results could slow the report down if you had of them, and it causes the Report Server to have to do a lot of calculations to attempt to process your questionable set up.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:48 AM

Warnings won't really slow the report down, per say, but they could give you unexpected results. Some items may not display what you were expecting, or in the layout you wanted. These unexpected, and possibly odd, results could slow the report down if you had of them, and it causes the Report Server to have to do a lot of calculations to attempt to process your questionable set up.

So you are saying that I should figure out how to remove the warning messages? OK then. When the original report runs with the existing varchar(max) field that contains html, the warning messages do not occur. Now that I added a second tablix that is similar to the first tablix, that is when the warning message occurs. The main difference between the 2 tablixes are:
    1. A filter is used to pick the correct tablix for that version of the report, and
    2. a span id in html is added.
    The error is referring to something in html font size that I can not change in data rows that already exist in the database. Thus do you have any ideas of what I can do to remove the existing warning messages?

• dianerstein 8713 - Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:02 AM

Thom A - Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:48 AM

Warnings won't really slow the report down, per say, but they could give you unexpected results. Some items may not display what you were expecting, or in the layout you wanted. These unexpected, and possibly odd, results could slow the report down if you had of them, and it causes the Report Server to have to do a lot of calculations to attempt to process your questionable set up.

So you are saying that I should figure out how to remove the warning messages? OK then. When the original report runs with the existing varchar(max) field that contains html, the warning messages do not occur. Now that I added a second tablix that is similar to the first tablix, that is when the warning message occurs. The main difference between the 2 tablixes are:
    1. A filter is used to pick the correct tablix for that version of the report, and
    The error is referring to something in html font size that I can not change in data rows that already exist in the database. Thus do you have any ideas of what I can do to remove the existing warning messages?

Not specifically, how many are you warnings are you actually expecting? Do they appear to be affecting your report detrimentally?

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:08 AM

dianerstein 8713 - Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:02 AM

Thom A - Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:48 AM

Not specifically, how many are you warnings are you actually expecting? Do they appear to be affecting your report detrimentally?

Every letter (or page of the report) gets this warning message. I have only run this report a few times. I have not executed it in volume yet.

• Unless you're report is 100's of pages long, I wouldn't worry about performance. That doesn't mean you should ignore the warning, they are there for a reason, but if you have a solution in place that will resolve as time goes on, that's still a resolution.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply