SSRS experts come inside!

• Hi gang,

I'm currently working on a SSRS report (2008 R2), and in that report is a field which contains the .xml from.rdl files on the report server. I'm looking for a way to allow users to click the cell containing the .xml code and have it save the data to a text file with an .rdl extension which they could later manually upload to the report server. Does anyone know the best the approach to accomplishing this?

TIA,

Code

• Is selecting the text, copying it into notepad, then saving it as an RDL file not an option or is your sole purpose to "automate" it?

______________________________________________________________________________Never argue with an idiot; Theyll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• It's an option, I would just prefer to have it auomated.

• You can automate the onclick event for the textbox to open up a new window/iframe/notepad/etc that can contain the XML text, but you won't be able to automate the actual save process (as this involves an external program (i.e. Notepad), who's completely outside the scope of the SSRS report). A user still has to type in the name of the file to save, change the Save as type, and click the Save/OK button - So i'm not sure if adding the javascript to your RDL textbox is worth the effort.

______________________________________________________________________________Never argue with an idiot; Theyll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• Yeah, I see what you mean. Thanks for the feedback.

• Hope it helps! If it does, please mark the reply as helpful so others won't have to read all the comments when they come across your OP 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply