SSRS on SQL Cluster

• Hi there,

We are running a 2-node, single instance SQL 2008 R2 Standard Ed. cluster and have a requirement for SSRS to be installed on it. I am aware that SSRS is not cluster aware and I am assuming this means if we installed it on the primary node, when failover occurred all SSRS functionality would be lost?

I have seen the scale-out method of deploying SSRS on clusters to allow 2 instances to access the same reporting services database, but I believe this is not available in Standard edition?

Is there an alternative? For example, could I configure it separately on each node and then after failover manually point the second server to the existing report server database on the shared storage?

Thanks,

Matt

• Why do you have a requirement for SSRS to be deployed specifically on the cluster?

Deploy the SSRS instance to a dedicated server using the cluster as your database storage host. Don't run an SSRS instance on a cluster node.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Sounds like that could be a wise idea....this is my first time using SSRS so I did not consider that possibility! Thanks!

• Just because the installer will let you install everything to the same box doesn't mean you should 😉

For the SSRS instance, you want to keep all the http traffic it handles away from the cluster node.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Yeah it's a good point - think I just viewed it as an additional part of the SQL Server Installation rather than a separate service in its own right....obviously needed to think slightly more outside the box, literally!! 😉 Haha

• 😉

• just be aware you will need a license for the SSRS instance if its on its own server.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Ok no problem - thanks for the heads up 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply