ssrs parameters

• I have a doubt here,

I have a table consists of a column "Marks", from this marks column values I've to display Pass if the mark >=50, else Fail. and in my report I've a parameter "Parem", if I give parem value as 0 it should display only the Fails marks and if it is 1 it should display Pass only, if it is 2 both pass and fail marks should be displayed.For this am writing the query as

SELECT MARKS,

CASE WHEN MARKS >= 50 THEN 'PASS'

ELSE 'FAIL'

END AS STATUS

FROM TableName

WHERE (@Param = 1 AND MARKS >= 50)

OR (@Param = 0 AND MARKS < 50)

OR (@Param is null )

when I execute this query in my management studio am getting the expected results, the same query when I execute in my SSRS, it seperates the where conditions as

Where (@Param = 1) AND (Marks >= 50) OR

(@Param = 0) AND (Marks < 50) OR

(@Param IS NULL)

so if I give 0 it shows even the pass marks, how can I give the parameters here, can anyone help me out...thanks in advance

• i have just created a sample report based on the query you provided using both a procedure and also the sql text embeded into a data set using a parameter of boolean allowing nulls and I get the required output

can you zip and upload the rdl file so I can take a look

create table t1 (marks int)

insert into t1 (marks) values (32),(40),(51),(68)

CREATE PROCEDURE getmarks (@param bit)

AS

SELECT MARKS,

ELSE 'FAIL'

END AS STATUS

FROM t1

WHERE (@Param = 1 AND MARKS >= 50)

OR (@Param = 0 AND MARKS < 50)

OR (@Param is null )

• Hi , thanks for ur response

I got the solution,

SELECT

MARKS, STATUS

FROM

(

SELECT MARKS,

ELSE 'FAIL'

END AS STATUS

FROM TableName

)

AS Tmp

WHERE

STATUS = CASE

WHEN @Param = 0 THEN 'FAIL' -- Fail Results

WHEN @Param = 1 THEN 'PASS' -- Pass Results

WHEN @Param = 2 THEN STATUS -- All Results

END

but the problem is when I execute this in SSRS am getting error like "the CLR type doesn't exist or you don't have the permissions to access it', how can I fix this

• i have attached the report rdl which I used, just give it a data source which points to the data and then create the query as a procedure and then modify the data sets to point to the data source and it should work

• thanks anthony.green I'll check it and then let you know

• again with the test1.rdl i still get the right results back from the test data I created in the eailer post using the first query you gave after modifing the parameter to accept a null value

• is it....wait I'll check

• ya its working, I think the problem is when joining the tables, here I've to join more than 3 tables, I'll check it....thanks for ur respone anthony

• please post the DDL of the tables, the full query and test data and we can help you further.

• thanks anthony for ur kind, the problem is am a newbie to sql I dunno how to take the DML. the report is working now, I found the problem, I'll let you know once I complete this, thanks again for ur kind response

• in that query if I give 2 it shows nothing, what can I do to display both pass and fail

• you either need to pass in a null value so that it gets everything, or change the last statement from @parm is null to @param = 2

• you are awesome anthony.....thanks alot

• as a follow on from this, read the first link in my signature block, it will help you in the future on how to post code for tables procedures and sample data so that we can re-create a testing area to help you out quicker in the future on anything t-sql related

• how can we write the same query using else condition

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply