Start without Debugging Problem

• I am at a loss and could use some direction.

I have an SSIS project that if I run in debug mode (F5) it will run to success. If I run in "start without Debugging" (CTRL + F5) it fails in the command window that is open. However the error that is being generated is scrolled off the command window.

Questions, any idea why it would work in debug mode and not in non-debug mode? Is there a way to capture that error? Any direction would be helpful as I am at a loss atm.

• I'm not sure why there should be a diffence but I expect you might get a better idea if you can read the error message.

Try enabling logging in your package and checking the error written to the log.

I created this sp to help with reading the logs i get written to SQL Server.

Hope this helps

Daniel

--------------------------------------

Create Proc [dbo].[uspDTSLog] As

---Alter Proc uspDTSLog As

Select

PackageStart.id,

PackageStart.source,

PackageStart.operator,

PackageStart.computer,

PackageStart.starttime,

PackageEnd.endtime,

DateDiff(s,PackageStart.starttime,PackageEnd.endtime) As duration,

--PackageStart.sourceid,

--PackageStart.executionid,

Errors.[message]

From

(Select top 1000

id,

source,

operator,

computer,

sourceid,

executionid,

starttime

From

sysdtslog90

Where

event='PackageStart'

Order By

id desc) As PackageStart

Left Outer Join

(Select

sourceid,

executionid,

endtime

From

sysdtslog90

Where

event='PackageEnd'

) As PackageEnd

On PackageStart.sourceid = PackageEnd.sourceid

And PackageStart.executionid = PackageEnd.executionid

Left Outer Join

(Select

sourceid,

executionid,

[message]

From

sysdtslog90

Where

event='OnError'

) As Errors

On PackageStart.sourceid = Errors.sourceid

And PackageStart.executionid = Errors.executionid

Order By

PackageStart.id desc

• Just an update for any that get this same problem. I had to go back to the SQL 2005 disk and install the SSIS package onto my machine to run in non-debug mode. (also apply sp 1).

Hope that helps anyone in the future with this problem.

• Would you please tell me how you install the SSIS package on your machine? I put the SQL 2005 disk on my laptop and the only component available has been installed on my laptop.

thanks,

Kitty

• I'll add the "why" to the original question and answer. If you have the development tools and evnironment installed on your machine, you can create and run any package in Visual Studio debig mode. However, to run a package in normal mode, you must be running the package on an SSIS server of the appropriate edition level for the components you have selected.

That means, on any SQL 2005 server, you can run packages that contain the basic maintanence plan tasks. If you want to run an SSIS pakcage with transformation components in it, you must be running it on an SSIS server. If you want to use advanced transformations (fuzzy lookup, for instance) you need to be running an Enterprise Edition of SSIS server.

The error you were having trouble seeing refers to using a component that is not supported by your edition of SQL. You get that when you use non-maintenance task components on a server without SSIS installed.

It's all about the software licensing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply