Starting MS SQL Server...

• Hi,

A few questions:

1. How do I tell what version of SQL server 2000 that is running on my PC if it is not already running? MSDE? Personal etc? I guess its Personal edition, but I am not sure. (which sevice packs?)

2. When I attempt to start my local install via Service Manager, it reports "The service did not start due to a logon failure". Checking over in Enterpirse Manager I am using domain authentication to log on. I HAVE changed my domain account password recently, but shouldn't it just pick up the change and allow the service to start? I am sure that I was using my local database just the other week, before I changed my password.

3. Can anyone recommend some trouble shooting steps to find out why it won't start/logon errors?

• 1. To Check the version:

On Registry check the following for SQL Server version

\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQLServer\CurrentVerion

From the version number, you can drive it's Service pack and hotfix level.

2. Change the SQL Server service account to 'Local System account" from the Control Panel --> Services for SQL Server. Then put the current password in SQL Server for the Windows  domain account.

Since the password change for the SQL server service account will not reflect in SQL Serve. It need to be change manually.

Sivaprasad S - [ SIVA ][/url]http://sivasql.blogspot.com/[/url]

• Thanks, the problem is sorted now!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply