Steps to change the service account password

• I've read about how to change the service account password but nothing seems to go into the detail I would like.

When I want to change the password, do I log into the server using the account, change the password, then change the password on the services? I'm really not sure of the steps....

Thanks

• Hello,

In order to change the service account passwords, you need to be a local admin on the box and then go to Administrative Tools -> Services and then change the passwords for the respective services. You need to restart the services, in order to effect the modifications.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Lucky

• Here are the steps to change the service account password.

a)      Login onto the server with the User account that is used by the MSSQLServer service. This account must be a domain account.

b)      Change the Windows password.

c)      Change the SQL Server agent Password ---(SQL Server Agent ---->Properties--->under this account)

d)      Change the SQL Server password----(SQL Server ---> Properties --->security)

e)      Restart SQL Server and all the dependent services.

Note: Make sure the password in all the three places (Windows, SQL Server Agent and SQL Server) that you change is the same.

• Thanks.

Would these steps work in a clustered environment also?

JC III

• In a clusered environment, you have two different instances (or more) of SQL server running. One is on each clustered node.

The service account is found in Enterprise Manager under the properties for the server instance. For a cluster this is the base instance, not the virtual node. There is also a SQL Server Agent service that may or may not be running the same account. This account is set under the properties for SQL Server Agent.

I've changed accounts in Windows, then in the services applet in Windows or in Enterprise Manager and restart the service.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply