Store Procedure Performance Question

• I am curious to know why the declaration of a variable within a storedproc increases execution time.

If i place a declare variable inside of the proc the execution time goes up to 33 secs versus 2-3 seconds if i remove the variable and use static values or move the declaration the list of values the proc expects and set a default value.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Ex of production procedure design.  in production this procedure references table with a million plus records

Create Proc uspTestProc (@var1 varchar(10), @var2 varchar(10)

as

declare @var3 varchar(10), var4 varchar(10)

Set @var3 = @var1 + 2

Set @var4 = @var2 + 2

Begin

Select columnA from tableA where columnB between @var3 and @var4

End

• Try looking at the execution plan for both scenarios, with and without the variables. Maybe with the variables SQL Server is having a hard time determining whether or not to do an index seek, index scan or a table scan. Maybe an index hint when you use the variables in the proc would help. Just an idea.

HTH,

Mark

• Seems it's data type mismatch.

What is the datatype of ColumnB?

The statement

Set @var3 = @var1 + 2

will implicitely convert @var1 from nvarchar to int and than convert int result to nvarchar for @var3.

Implicit conversion does not allow the query to use index.

• Here's a better example of what we are doing.

The only difference in the procedures is in the way @var3 and @var4 are loaded.  If @var3 and @var4 are declared within the procedure, the proc runs over 30 seconds.  If @var3 and @var4 are declared then passed to the procedure, the proc runs in 2-3 seconds.

EX:

SlowProc – pass in 2 variables then derive the last 2

Create Proc uspProc (@month varchar(10), @year varchar(10))

As

Begin...

Declare @var3 datetime, @var4 datetime

Set @var3 = @month + '/01/' + @year

Set @var4 = @month + '/31/  + @year

Fast Proc – Pass in all 4 variables  When I pass in the @var3 and @var4 the proc run in 2-3 seconds versus 30-40 seconds

Create Proc uspProc(@month, @year, @var3, @var4)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply