stored procedure for insert and update

• hi guys i have an xml file with 20k rows i need to either insert or update in a table. My table right now has 1 k rows, looks like this:

DisID Integer (identity column)

DistributorID numeric(10,0),

ManufacturerNUM numeric(10,0),

LocationNUM nvarchar(50),

DistributorDesc nvarchar(100)

the only clustered id is the LocationNUM, a unique value.

set ANSI_NULLS ON

set QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

go

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[Distributor_InsertUpdateLocations]

(

@DistributorID numeric(10,0),

@ManufacturerNUM numeric(10,0),

@LocationNUM nvarchar(50),

@DistributorDesc nvarchar(100)

)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @LOCATIONID AS numeric(10,0)

SELECT

@LOCATIONID = Location_ID

FROM

[dbo].Distributor_Locations

WHERE

Location_NUM = @LocationNUM --clustered index

AND

Manufacturer_NUM = @ManufacturerNUM

AND

Distributor_ID = @DistributorID

IF @LOCATIONID > 0

BEGIN

UPDATE [dbo].Distributor_Locations

SET

Distributor_ID = @DistributorID,

Manufacturer_NUM = @ManufacturerNUM,

Last_Update_DT = GETDATE(),

Location_NUM = @LocationNUM,

Distributor_Desc = @DistributorDesc,

WHERE Location_ID = @LOCATIONID

END

ELSE

BEGIN

INSERT INTO [dbo].Distributor_Locations

(

Distributor_ID,

Manufacturer_NUM,

Create_DT,

Location_NUM,

Distributor_Desc

)

VALUES

(

@DistributorID,

@ManufacturerNUM,

GETDATE(),

@LocationNUM,

@DistributorDesc

)

END

END

But my stored procedure is taking around 3 hours to execute. How can i optimize this?

• Can you extract the XML file into a flat table? A temp table or a real table, either one?

It looks to me like this proc is stepping through the XML row-by-row and running one update/insert at a time.

If you can either query the data into a flat format, or put it in a table, you can do the whole thing in two steps, one update, one insert. Will probably only take a few seconds (at most) with only 20k rows.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• great idea, i will try first creating a temp table before the transactions, if that doesn't help then i am going to create a table in my db.

thanks a lot!, last question is it good i created the clustered index in that field? is it helping me?

• I'm a little confused... you say "the only clustered id is the LocationNUM, a unique value". What do you mean by that? There is a clustered unique index on this single column? Then it wouldn't make sense... because you check on ather columns as well and as far as I can see, if LocationNUM is the same but DistributorID is different, you want to insert this row.

Could you please post the definition (CREATE INDEX statement) of the index you are asking about?

Actually, with the type of query you are running I think that it doesn't make any significant difference whether the index is clustered or not. Clustered index generally helps best where you need to select ranges of values... for example "... WHERE time_started > @time", or "SELECT TOP 100 ... ORDER BY indexed_column".

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply