Stored Procedure Help

• Hello All,

just to let you know in starting out im pretty new with SQL stored procedures. Im trying to write a very simple procedure that will add a record to a table and im getting an error and i dont understand why. I have pasted the procedure below as it will help understand whats wrong. Can someone please explain to me what im doing wrong. im not just looking for it to be fixed, i would like to know what im doing that isnt right so i can learn as well.

Thanks in advance,

John

set

ANSI_NULLS ON

set QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

go

PROCEDURE [dbo].[sp_AddAttachment]

@au_FileName varchar(40) = 'DefaultData.doc',

@au_FileLocation varchar(100) = 'c:\inetpub\Nuke\DefaultLocation\',

@au_PlanID int = 9999,

@au_PlanActionID int = 9999,

@au_AttachedTo char(1) = 'X',

@au_DocumentID int = 999

AS

-- Take @au_DocumentID which is passed in from the ASPX page and find the name

-- of the file it refers to

DECLARE

@name_holder varchar(100);

SET @name_holder=(SELECT DocumentNameInternal FROM xsdl_Document WHERE DocumentID = @au_DocumentID)

-- get the folderpath from xsld_Folder based on the folderID from xsld_Document

-- based off the @au_DocumentID

DECLARE

@path_holder varchar(255);

SET @path_holder=(select f.FolderPath, d.DocumentID from xsdl_Folder f, xsdl_Document d where exists(f.FolderID = d.FolderID and d.DocumentID = @au_DocumentID))

*** here is where the problem lies. Im trying to get the file path from another table in the database and add it into the table below. When i run this query in the query panel it runs no problem but here for some reason i cant get it to work even when @au_DocumentID has the correct value.*** why is this syntax invalid and what can i do to make it valid?***

INSERT

INTO dbo.cnAttachments (

FileName,

FileLocation

PlanID,

PlanActionID

Attached_To

)

VALUES

(

@name_holder

@path_holder

@au_PlanID

@au_PlanActionID

@au_AttachedTo

)

• SET @path_holder=(select f.FolderPath, d.DocumentID from xsdl_Folder f, xsdl_Document d where exists(f.FolderID = d.FolderID and d.DocumentID = @au_DocumentID))

Your select returns 2 values. You cannot set 2 values into 1 variable.

• lol thanks man sorry for the dumb ass question. If SQL error messages were only in plan english i wouldnt have just made an ass of myself at this moment lol at a later date im sure but i coulda saved this one.

thanks,

John

• 1. You are etrying to assign 2 values (f.FolderPath, d.DocumentID) while you need only the first one.

2. Correlated sub-query is written incorrect

Try to do this:

select FolderPath

from xsdl_Folder f

where exists(

select folderid

from xsdl_Document

where FolderID = f.FolderID

and DocumentID = @au_DocumentID)

Let me know whether it works.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply