storing cyrillic in non-unicode fields

• Howzit,

Don't know if this is possible:

I'm trying to store cyrillic text into normal text and varchar fields in SQL2000. I Changed my DB collation to Cyrillic_General_CI_AS, change my input locale to Russian then inserted through Query Analyser some cyrillic text into a text field. Selecting the field just shows ????????? ???. However, if i use ntext it works. SQL help seems to me to indicate that unicode is not neccesary, anyone know how to do it?

Regards,

Gilbert

• What you are getting is called character conversion, your other options are to save the file as Unicode in notepad and Excel and insert it into SQL Server.  I am assuming you know in SQL Server 2000 you can do column level collation.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi Gilbert,

I work with cyrillic characters in varchar columns all the time, without using Unicode. This is the usual sequence of steps that works, at least in my case:

1. I create the database with some of Macedonian collation identifiers (usually Macedonian_CI_AS),

2. I create tables without specifying collation for each column (so that all character columns are by default using the database collation).

3. I insert data in character columns (string constants are typed using MK locale, and they appear correctly in QA, both in the command editor and in resutls pane). Also, I make sure the font has Cyrillic support (I use Arial (Cyrillic) or Courier New (Cyrillic)).

This should also work for Russian locale.

HTH,

Goce.

• Thanks for replies, were helpful. It turns out [simply] that my varchar column did not have the proper collation. I incorrectly assumed that changing the DB collation would roll through to the columns.

Gilbert

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply