Strangely Locked (or not locked) Table

• In our ERP system (SQL2K Enterprise/Win2K3) I have a table that if I try to alter permissions for a group, Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer will hang. I've looked with sp_who & who2, along with sp_locks and Enterprise Manager/Current Activity/Process Info without seeing any locks. The server in question shuts down SQL Server between midnight and 4am to FTP everything to a DR remote location, I figured that would have cleared whatever is happening with this table, but it hasn't.

Any ideas? I've sent an email to the vendor (Munis), but they're pretty slack about getting back. It's not a problem (as of yet), more of an annoyance.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• How many databases or users are there on this instance, I have noticed that on a few of our boxes that have many databases or users that management studio hangs. If this is the case, use SQL to do the change. Just a geus, maybe something alse is up.

Andrew

• How big is the table and how many users are there in the database? Are permissions being given to individual user or group.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• For some reason I didn't or have not yet received email notification of your replies!

Anyway, the table is 4100 rows of about 300 bytes, so not very big. Permitting is done through groups. There's generally 50-75 users in the database during business hours, we're not a 24/7 operation.

I just confirmed that in a copy of the database the table can have its permissions modified, so it appears that our ERP software is applying some sort of exclusive lock on the table in the production database (we have a separate application server that uses a single login to access the database). I am kind of disturbed that I can't see anything at the SQL level. Unfortunately I am not a domain admin so I can't look at the OS level for weirdness.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply