Strategy for a SQL server "heartbeat" check?

• We are developing a script to verify all our SQL servers are alive and responding to connections. The utility doing this "heartbeat" verify isn't a TSQL script; the platform is TBD, but it should be connecting with a standard connection string. If it is relevant, the environment is mixed SQL 2000 and 2005, with a couple of new 2008 and leftover 7.0s.

Is there a standard way to do this? We'd considered doing a "SELECT @@VERSION" or something else simple, because that wouldn't actually require any table access.

What are the *minimum* permissions that would need to be assigned to a SQL user to make this possible?

• Hello Brad,

It's always good to have proactive work.

Also I suggest that instead of running select @@version you can check the services of the sql server instance. You can refer the following thread for the further reference.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic664157-146-1.aspx

HTH!

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• Here's a code snippet of mine to get you started - xp_servicecontrol did not exist in v7.0 so you have a voild to fille - likewise I have no 2008 instances - well here you go:

---

if(substring(convert(varchar(32),serverproperty('ProductVersion')),1,1)) = '8' --> SQL 2000

begin

print 'checking MSSQLSERVER service'

exec master..xp_servicecontrol 'QueryState', 'MSSQLSERVER'

print 'checking SQLSERVERAGENT service'

exec master..xp_servicecontrol 'QueryState', 'SQLSERVERAGENT'

print 'checking MSSearch service'

exec master..xp_servicecontrol 'QueryState', 'MSSearch'

end

---

if(substring(convert(varchar(32),serverproperty('ProductVersion')),1,1)) = '9' --> SQL 2005

begin

print 'checking MSSQL service'

exec master..xp_servicecontrol 'QueryState', 'MSSQL'

print 'checking SQLAgent service'

exec master..xp_servicecontrol 'QueryState', 'SQLAgent'

print 'checking MSFTESQL service'

exec master..xp_servicecontrol 'QueryState', 'MSFTESQL'

end

---

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Nicely done. I have a question about checking SQL Server Analysis services. When I check on a named instance, I get the proper status but on a default instance I only get the status of "Running" even though the SSAS server is turn off.

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts.

Rudy

Rudy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply