Stress – It’s Not Fair

• Members of different teams often follow a rigid "start [this] only after [that] has been completed" development path that isn't necessary.

For example, when developing the data model and stored procedures for a new database, I'll shortly provide the application developers with prototype stored procedure calls that have input/output parameters and mockup resultsets that closely match what the final version will have. Of course, this works much better when the app developers are only making procedure calls and don't have direct access to tables. The stored procedures provide the necessary abstraction layer required for unit based development.

Likewise, when I need to interface with tables on a remote database owned by another team, I'll mockup my own local tables or procedure calls based on the design specifications they are currently working from. Once their end is ready, I only need to make a few minor retrofits to the datasource and programming on my end.

I've found this to be more effective than sulking, nagging, and raising a stink.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• TravisDBA (11/28/2011)

WolforthJ (11/28/2011)

The chart went up in the break room, so everyone saw it when a project was behind and knew which team caused it. After a while we didn't need the chart.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of this kind of public display to get a point across, because it destroys team building and tends to promote a pay-back atmosphere (us vs. them) in the department. I think there are other more tactful ways to deal with this, even if it did turn out to be effective. You can motivate people in other positive ways than mounting signs in the break room for EVERYONE to see (including the janitors and vending machine operators) IMHO.:-D

I agree. This was a pretty dysfunctional company. But in this case, it inspired the department that had to order stock to start using an actual project management tool. Exactly what we wanted them to do, and had been suggested, but when it became their idea they were more enthusiastic about it and other departments adopted it. Eventually most departments were included, except IT, which was listed, but never had any time assigned to it. So, if you looked at their GANTT chart apparently we were doing our job in zero time.

Anyway, the guy who put up the chart was eventually fired because of his anger issues and the director was promoted just because. She was diagnosed with Alzheimers not too long after that. Stranger than fiction.

• TravisDBA (11/28/2011)

WolforthJ (11/28/2011)

The chart went up in the break room, so everyone saw it when a project was behind and knew which team caused it. After a while we didn't need the chart.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of this kind of public display to get a point across, because it destroys team building and tends to promote a pay-back atmosphere (us vs. them) in the department. I think there are other more tactful ways to deal with this, even if it did turn out to be effective. You can motivate people in other positive ways than mounting signs in the break room for EVERYONE to see (including the janitors and vending machine operators) IMHO.:-D

Tend to agree with this comment. I think this is the type of thing that should be handled by a manager in a less public setting.

It breaks teams up. Many people may not realize what the slowdown is, or understand if there is a good reason. Like an unrealistic schedule.

If you think a team is slow, or not doing their best, then deal with them directly.

• Stress can be very hard to deal with, especially when it comes from friction between teams. I've tried to be more efficient at work, but also do a professional job. Set my own limits on what I can accomplish, and then move forward to do them.

If I fall behind, I can only do so much to catch up. I can't live to work, at least not for more than a week or two.

• A month or so ago there was an entire issue of Scientific American MIND devoted to Stress, causes, effects and how to deal with it. The research suggests that by far the best strategy is to avoid getting into stressful situations, by good forward thinking, planning etc. Strategies for dealing with stress, such as modifying the way you think about the situation are only moderately useful (according to the research) in comparison.

I would say that it is reasonable to express a certain amount of dissatisfaction if other people have let you down. The approach suggested by Andy of dealing with other people's failures as if they are just another problem to solve might make you miss the most effective problem solving technique of all - a good kick up the ****!

• TravisDBA (11/28/2011)

Great article Andy! I am also reminded of great saying in our business that I use all the time to throw the stress back into their (BA's and PM's) court. "Lack of planning or fore-thought on your part does not necessarily constitute an emergency on mine". My boss has stopped many deadlines cold because of this.

Heh... I was thinking just the opposite, Travis... "Poor planning on your part DOES consitute an emergency on my part" and that's why I'm stressed! 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Just read the article (I am free on Mondays \o/)...

I find the conclusion of the article strange to me as it could just be said that it is the 'having no control over the situation' factor that is killer. Maybe it is my perspective as a control freak, but the effects you describe perfectly fit my conclusion too. People are placed, by the other team, in a situation they have no control over and it harms their own efforts. The same effects can be seen with mismanagement and lack of direction by leadership, it all boils down to having no control over your own situation, regardless of your personal efforts and persistence.

• Jeff Moden (11/28/2011)

TravisDBA (11/28/2011)

Great article Andy! I am also reminded of great saying in our business that I use all the time to throw the stress back into their (BA's and PM's) court. "Lack of planning or fore-thought on your part does not necessarily constitute an emergency on mine". My boss has stopped many deadlines cold because of this.

Heh... I was thinking just the opposite, Travis... "Poor planning on your part DOES consitute an emergency on my part" and that's why I'm stressed! 😀

I think it was Matt Miller who used to have a sig on this site (might still) that said something like "Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency for me. Unless you're a VP or higher, or in Sales, or a customer, or ... what was my emergency again?"

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply