Stress

• I have found that a real quick way to take a step back, reduce stress, and gather your thoughts is to go on a 10-15 minute walk. While it is a little hard to convince the boss that it is necessary, it has proven on numerous occasions to be well worth it. A 15 minute break in a stressful time can reduce the time to fix the issue. A a much better solution can be thought of instead of the 1 minute solution though of under the stressful conditions. Most of the 1 minute solutions may have to be redesigned anyway as some critical elements may have been overlooked.

Luckily for my, I work in an area where it is not critical for the business to have 24 hours continuous operations.

As for home stress... Nothing is better than hugging and looking into the smiling faces of Grandkids.

Joe

• Thanks for the nice reminder.

I love the challenges of IT too. However, sometimes I forget about all the other things in life that I need to stay in harmony or balance. For me it's blasting my Gibson SG with friends, reading, working out and seeing friends.

A year ago I had a coworker die in a meeting. He was carrying way too much on his shoulders. It was sad. He was an awesome guy.

Thanks again Phil!

Howie

• Phil,

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. I've been away (enjoying SUMMER as opposed to what's going on in New England these days). I always knew you were more than all right, but PKD fan as well? VALIS, Ubik, Martian Time Slip, Unteleported Man... I could go on. A really weird week I spent in London on my own, hanging out in pubs and reading the Exegesis after work... PKD is a great way to reset your brain to deal with the world.

I think the number of people involved to some degree with the martial arts that are also DBA's and developers is interesting. It sure feels like it's a higher percentage than the general population. It's a wonderful way to relieve stress.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks, Grant,

I believe I have everything that PKD ever had published. I recommend 'Clans of the Alphane Moon' as being the funniest satire the way that group processes work. I've always found it relevant to the workplace. It is great relaxation.

When I popped over to Colorado last year, I wanted to go over to see PKD's grave at Fort Morgan, but nobody I asked seem to know where it was, or how to get there.

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• I didn't know PKD was buried in Colorado. I figured it was in California. He spent so much of his life there. Now I'm curious...

Found this:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1490

and this:

http://www.philipkdick.com/aa_g-other-headstone.html

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply