Subject to research

• Hi All,

Currently doing master studies (MPhil) in Great Britain. To start my studies I have to write proposal of research project.

Just looking for inspiration, maybe someone can come up with some subjects, connected with SQL Server, which will be suitable for research project (resources: only one person).

(I visited MS Research site , but stuff they deal with is too complex for me)

Any ideas?

Kind Regards

Max Mulawa

• Try this link for UDM(unified Dimension Modeling), it is new, striping relational Algebra and moving to relational Caculus in one step.  It is part of SQL Server 2005.  Hope this helps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql90/html/IntrotoUDM.asp

Kind regards,

Gift Peddie

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I read the article, but didn't get the idea to research.

If you could be more clear.

Thx

Max

• I am not an academic.  However, in my spare time, I am currently researching/analyzing/asessing the ability of various DB engines to serve as an engine, or framework, for autonomous AI, particularly in the autonomous intelligent agent space. 

Conceptually, DB engines are autonomous in the sense that they can operate in a "lights out" environment, can communicate externally, can accept and respond to input from external sources, have a well-developed capacity to store information, and so on. 

Most production-grade engines offer a feature similar to MS Sql Server agents allowing the engine to manipulate the local environment and to trigger external actions via ActiveX controls and so on.  Elements that are NOT readily available are a mechanism for defining dynamic goals and determining appropriate actions based on conflicting goals.  Also lacking is the ability to collaborate with other dynamic intelligent agents in a non-pre-defined manner, i.e. without knowing in advance what methods the other agent has available.  There are other features and limitations to consider, but I will leave that for your research.

Good luck

Wayne

• The current database use is you start with relational Algebra and clean the data through ETL(extraction transformation and loading) to move the data to relational Calculus, UDM(unified Dimension Modeling) is the new direction of stripping the Algebra and moving to Calculus in one step.  If you do a research it will be for usability and load limitations for eliminating the ETL step in data analysis.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Gift Peddie

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• How about the efficiency of using T-SQL v CLR type functions in SQL Server to solve some problems? It's an interesting debate, but it's one that could probably use some research, perhaps on something like string add/edit/delete?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply