Subscription specific updates - how to define??

• Hi,

We have Server A that subscribes to Server B and Server C. Both Server B and C use push transactional replication to different subscribers. However Sever A is special in that is needs to ignore certain column updates in certain tables when it receives data, i.e. Table A - update Col1, Col2, Col3 when data is from Server B while Table A - update Col2, Col3, Col4 when data is from Server C. It looks as though the replication procs need to be subscription specific and not the same for both publishers but we can't see a way to do that.

It seems like a reasonable requirement so we imagine it can be done but are having difficulty understanding how it can be achieved.

TIA, Peter

• Hi Peter!

I don't know if I understood your problem..

Have you thought about using filters???

... vertical filters, in this case, because you want columns.

I hope this bring you some light.

Xau, Claudia

Regards,

Cláudia Rego

www.footballbesttips.com

• Hi Claudia,

Yes, we are currently using vertical filters - this is what seems to be causing the problem. The standard sp_msupd, del & ins stored procedures are created from the publication. There is only one set up sp_msupd (etc) stored procedures for each table in the database, which expect certain parameters.

Because we have 2 publications pushing to the same database only one set of sp_msupd (etc) stored procedures for each table means that one of the updates will always fail (ie sp_msupd is set up for publication A, thus expecting 5 parameters, so when publication B is pushed through with only 2 parameters the sp_msupd fails).

So far it seems our options are: Manually create the stored procedures to update the replicated tables (this is a viable solution, however very time consuming to set up and maintain). There is some thought that DTS may help but we haven't looked at this in any depth yet and no one on-site has any experience with it.

Thanks for the initial comment - any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Peter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply