subtracting one table from another

• HI,

I have a large sql table and two smaller ones. The two smaller ones are derived from the big one. Say table A is the big one, I wish to removed all the rows from table A that are contained in B and C.

I have been trying this:  select * from tableA where exists(select * from TableB)

All this does is give me everything from tableA. Say table B was 2000 rows , I would like to see TableA with 2000 records less.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks,

Paul

• Look up EXISTS() in BOL. U'll see where u r wrong.

• So you actually want to DELETE the data from table A that's already in tableb?

If so

delete from TableA

where tableA.ID in (select ID from tableB)

should do the trick.  Obviously, I'm assuming that ID is a unique key on both tables.

Or to select from table A what's not in table B:

select * from tableA

where tableA.id not in (select id from tableB)

Regards

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil's reply looks good.  I'd advise setting up some sample data in test tables before trying it on the live tables.

• to answer your original question.

Select *

from tablebA

where exists (select *

from tableb

Where Tablea.id = tableb.id)

You need a where clause indicating what criteria you need to establish what data is in both tables, I'm assuming an id column of some sort.

• This would also do the same

Delete from A

Where KeyColumn  In

(

Select KeyColumn from B

Union

Select KeyColumn from C

)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply