Sudden Slowness Of Query

• I have an SSIS package that loads a database everynight. the package took 45 minutes to run over the years (Sql 2000 to Sql 2005 to Sql 2008). All of a sudden this weekend my package started taking 8 hours to run. I have changed nothing, the server is the same no newupdates have been added.

Has anyone seen this before?

I think this is the query that is cuasing the issue:

INSERT INTO F_Sales_Detail

(date_id, site_id, store_id, sprsn_id, trans_type_id, prod_id, sales_type_id, buyer_id, gross_amt, gp_amt, cost_amt, net_amt, credit_amt, qty_sold, qty_ship, nbr_trans)

SELECT D_Dates.date_id, D_Site.Site_id, D_Store.store_id, D_Salespeople.sprsn_id, D_Trans_Type.trans_type_id, D_Product.Prod_id, D_Sales_Type.sales_type_id, D_Buyer.buyer_id, tmp_F_Sales_Detail.gross_amt, tmp_F_Sales_Detail.gp_amt, tmp_F_Sales_Detail.cost_amt,

tmp_F_Sales_Detail.net_amt, tmp_F_Sales_Detail.credit_amt, tmp_F_Sales_Detail.qty_sold, tmp_F_Sales_Detail.qty_ship, tmp_F_Sales_Detail.nbr_trans

FROM tmp_F_Sales_Detail INNER JOIN

D_Trans_Type ON tmp_F_Sales_Detail.trans_type_id = D_Trans_Type.trans_type_num INNER JOIN

D_Salespeople ON tmp_F_Sales_Detail.sprsn_id = D_Salespeople.sprsn_num INNER JOIN

D_Buyer ON tmp_F_Sales_Detail.buyer_id = D_Buyer.buyer_num INNER JOIN

D_Site ON tmp_F_Sales_Detail.site_id = D_Site.site_sys_num INNER JOIN

D_Dates ON tmp_F_Sales_Detail.date_id = D_Dates.dt INNER JOIN

D_Product ON tmp_F_Sales_Detail.prod_id = D_Product.Internal_product_code INNER JOIN

D_Store ON tmp_F_Sales_Detail.store_id = D_Store.store_num INNER JOIN

D_Sales_Type ON tmp_F_Sales_Detail.sales_type_id = D_Sales_Type.sales_type_num

• Was there an increase in the amount of data it's handling?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• No, on average there is about 10 000 to 20 000 records a day

• The number of joins in that query is indeed impressive. I think the execution plan was changed. Did you add or drop any indexes recently?

• Im loading a datawarehouse with many dimension tables.

WHen I moved to sql 08, I added more indexes but things were working well for a month.

My issue just started. When I ran accross this issue, I decided to drop the indexes and try again. But noting changed.

• JonJon (11/3/2009)

Im loading a datawarehouse with many dimension tables.

WHen I moved to sql 08, I added more indexes but things were working well for a month.

My issue just started. When I ran accross this issue, I decided to drop the indexes and try again. But noting changed.

You do know that this statement counterdictes your statement in your original post about no changes.

Have you forced a recompile of the procedures used to do the imports, or updated the statistics? If not, you may want to give it a try.

• Thank You Thnak You Thank You to all who assisted.

The issue was dealing with INDEX Fragmentation.

I ran the sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats and found my indexes fragmented.

using the DBCC DBREINDEX solved the issue.

Thank sagain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply