Suggestions, recommendations, ideas or useful tips are required for Reporting Services

• My company recently purchased new product (.Net Application) to replace oracle-based legacy application. Now my job is to rewrite, convert approx. 100 reports into Reporting Services.

I need Suggestions, recommendations, ideas or useful tips are for doing this in Reporting Services. Like:

1. Should I use same production database for reporting purposes or should I have separate database (replica of Production db) just for reporting purposes?

2. What should be the standards helpful to follow?

3. Etc…….

At this point, we have VB.Net Application, SQL Server as database on Windows 2k Pro, but nothing is there for Reporting Services.

I prepared my pc with SQL Server 2000 (SP3a) with Reporting Services (SP 2).

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

• I would recommend setting up a seperate db for RS. If you installed RS with the MS best practices you most likely didn't set up the installation with a RSExec domain, and therefore must give access to the database for whomever is using the reports.  This can be a db nightmare in managing permissions to the database, therefore the easiest solution is to store all the data used for RS in a seperate db.

I also found that if you create tables with the data needed for most reports breaking it down into views, stored procedures made writing the reports very easy.

• A separate db is overkill unless you have an already loaded machine, then you'd want a separate server as well, or you anticipate a high volume of reports that might cause issues.

You could always move it later, so I'd lean towards the same machine.

• Thanks for your reply.

Till this point what I came up with is definitely going for same Database Server, but separate database for reports. This report database will be sync every night, but this sync job can also run any time on user request to produce up to the minute report.

I found this useful site for deployment:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/deploy/rsdepgd.mspx

If anyone has any other thoughts, please share.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply