Summing a calculated column

• I have a column, that depending on =iif returns a 0 or a 1.

I want to be able to get a sum of these and put them in a Total box.

I tried with reportitems, but it says I can't aggregate reportitems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps. I tried creating a field, but, I keep getting "report server error"

Thank you in advance.

• You may want to look at the CASE Function in BOL

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/tsqlref9/html/658039ec-8dc2-4251-bc82-30ea23708cee.htm

In the lower portion of the page it shows how to use the CASE function to replace the IIF function available in Access.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket (1/29/2009)

You may want to look at the CASE Function in BOL

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/tsqlref9/html/658039ec-8dc2-4251-bc82-30ea23708cee.htm

In the lower portion of the page it shows how to use the CASE function to replace the IIF function available in Access.

My problem is not the iif. It works fine. My problem is how to sum a non field (calculated) column.

thnx.

• How about this.

Instead of doing the =IIF logic in the text box on the Layout tab, manually add a calculated field to the dataset on the Data tab, using your =IIF logic there, and then you would just have another field from the dataset on which you can do the SUM.

• TKD-BB (1/30/2009)

How about this.

Instead of doing the =IIF logic in the text box on the Layout tab, manually add a calculated field to the dataset on the Data tab, using your =IIF logic there, and then you would just have another field from the dataset on which you can do the SUM.

I tried that and I kept getting an internal report server error. But thanks for mentioning it.

So the question remains. Can you sum a column that has values that are calculated (results) instead of being database fields???????

• Not sure of your actual syntax, but summing a calculated value is very easy:

EG:

Calculated value = IIF(Field1.Value="Yes", 1, 0)

The Total of this would be =SUM(IIF(Field1.Value="Yes",1,0))

It's really as simple as that, wherever you place your sum dictates if you get a sub-total or a grand total.

Good luck,

Nigel.

Nigel West
    UK

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply