Super Sunday

• It's Super Bowl Sunday, a national holiday in the US. Almost a secular one as pointed out in the local paper today. So many rituals, the dressing up, the particular foods people eat, even the devotion to watching the commercials where it's usually quieter in the house than it is during the game, it's quite an event.

To be honest, I love football and the Super Bowl brings me mixed emotions. We'll get a champion, but it will be six long months with no football. Basketball and baseball are enjoyable, but there's nothing like the excitement of a good football game. Even when none of my favorite teams are in the game, it's exciting to watch.

I've watched almost every one since I was a kid, even caught one in '87 while living in London and one thing that has struck me is the integration of the web and the commercials over time. Heck, even the entire game with polls and chats going on during the event. I know there will be a few companies that are seeking to drive some traffic to their websites tonight during the game and it will be interesting to see how they stand up.

While I wouldn't hesitate to architect a web platform around SQL Server to withstand those loads, I'm sure glad that I'm not on call for any of them tonight.

Hope you enjoy the game and I'll get back to business tomorrow, wondering if the next couple days if Beta 3 is coming this week. If you don't enjoy football, take a look at this interview with Bill Gates. It's interesting in how he manipulates and dodges the security issues.

Steve Jones

• Yeah, Steve, I know what you mean about no football.  We were just discussing that with some friends yesterday.  Football and soccer are really the only sports that are great for TV.  Otherwise, baseball and basketball are best watched live.  They just don't cut it for TV viewing. 

Oh well, the game was great last night and I actually did appreciate the better censorship.  Paul McCartney can still jam for an old fart. 

• You need to check out a hockey game. The NHL may be locked out but you'll save a lot of $$ and enjoy it just as much going to a minor league game. Until you know the rules and understand some of the strategy it's hard to watch on TV. In person, though, it is the most exciting sporting event I can think of. I wasn't even into sports until I went to my first hockey game and I was hooked instantly. Hockey players, althought there are some bad apples, are some of the best people you'll ever meet. To be a good hockey player you really have to put the team first and if you get to meet some of the players you'll see that they are team players on and off the ice.

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• Hey what about Arena football. Not quite the same but it works in a pinch.

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

• We have all those in Denver. Arena is interesting and I'd like to take the kids, just haven't. We checked out the DU Pioneers once, but with the NHL issues, tickets are hard to come by. Good for DU, they're selling out!

I love live sports, planning on quite a few Thur afternoons watching the Rockies struggle this year.

• Have to agree..Hockey is awesome to watch, but I think thats a game where you need to be there.  Its fine on tv...Takes a while to tune your eyes onto the puck though.

Sport junkie here...Will watch everything and anything.  Love watching US sports but they are not on until midnight, so usually miss a lot of the action.

Speaking of Soccer....Can't believe Canada beat Northern Ireland the other night...I know NI are not the best team but Canada...Come on...I went to one soccer game in Canada and it was at the Oilers hockey areana with carpet over the ice....In saying that, they'll probably beat England in the WC qualifiers!!

• I dont' much care for sports unless it is my homes teams and they are winning and in the super bowl or I know someone on the team personally. However I love hockey, motocross and stock car racing and will attend those without the above required. But hockey is starting to put in rules that are taking the fun out of the game and it may not be long before their all overpaid and it is just another basic sport as well.

• I'm not too sure of the rules of American football however if you are prepared for a little foreign intervention try Rugby.

If Rugby looks too sissy try Australian football. The Aussies don't like to waste drinking time so they seem to have integrated the best aspects of rugby and the post match punch-up into one murderous sport.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply