Suppress Backup Messages In Logs

• I'm trying to get rid of all backup messages in my SQL logs and I was able to successfully suppress completed notifications by enabling trace flag 3266. However, I'm still dealing with "backup passed" and "backup skipped" entries which quickly clutters the log when performing log backups every 10 minutes on dozens of databases. The messages look like this

Backup passed. BACKUP DATABASE [TestDB] level [LOG]
    Backup skipped. BACKUP DATABASE [master] level [LOG]

Is there a way to suppress these as well?

• RonMexico wrote:

I'm trying to get rid of all backup messages in my SQL logs and I was able to successfully suppress completed notifications by enabling trace flag 3266. However, I'm still dealing with "backup passed" and "backup skipped" entries which quickly clutters the log when performing log backups every 10 minutes on dozens of databases. The messages look like this

Backup passed. BACKUP DATABASE [TestDB] level [LOG]
    Backup skipped. BACKUP DATABASE [master] level [LOG]

Is there a way to suppress these as well?

Did you mean 3226?

I have never seen that message in a SQL log.  Are you using a third party backup?

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Yes, 3226. My bad on the typo.

It is a third party backup which I've looked at their documentation to see if there is a setting to prevent writing to the SQL logs and that does not appear to be the case. I was trying to keep this from turning into troubleshooting the third party software which I why I didn't bring it up. I was hoping that since 3226 suppressed the completion messages that there was something similar for the other two. If not, then no big deal.

• RonMexico wrote:

Yes, 3226. My bad on the typo.

It is a third party backup which I've looked at their documentation to see if there is a setting to prevent writing to the SQL logs and that does not appear to be the case. I was trying to keep this from turning into troubleshooting the third party software which I why I didn't bring it up. I was hoping that since 3226 suppressed the completion messages that there was something similar for the other two. If not, then no big deal.

I agree with Michael... the messages being produced don't appear to be from SQL Server.  I totally understand why you'd like to avoid 3rd party support but this one is going to need it unless you can find some setting/configuration in the 3rd party app.

Out of basic curiosity, what is the 3rd party app?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• It is Dell Data Domain Boost

• RonMexico wrote:

It is Dell Data Domain Boost

Thanks, Ron.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• RonMexico wrote:

It is Dell Data Domain Boost

Have you done test restores from this? We looked into this a while back, and they could not prove to me that their backup solution would have no data loss.

They may have added an agent, and Dell partnered with Ola Hallengren to add the Dell Domain Boost as an option to his backup solution.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• We've done quite a bit of testing and so far so good with no data loss. Let's hope that continues to be the case.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply